Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
new member on a losing streak... >

new member on a losing streak...

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

new member on a losing streak...

Old 11-30-2013, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well ... a few things. All of them already more or less mentioned.

You have to find a way to mitigate the cold. Layers of quality under wear, wind breaker outer, better insulated boots, hand warmers and toasty-toes chem packs ... whatever it takes.

Coming out at 09:00 ??? .... gotta stay longer. I would bet over the 50 or so years that I have hunted white tailed deer, I have killed better than 50% between 10:00 and 11:30 a.m. So my advise based upon what you are saying is try getting settled in around 7:00 and stay until 10:00-11:00, or hunting midday say from 9:00 until 2:00 p.m.

And playing the wind to "an extent" is not good enough, especially on small acreage ... in my book. The room for error in being winded is hjust too great. Looka t it this way ... if there are say an average of 30-40 deer/square mile ratio up that way (and that is a rateher high number) that would equate to about 3-4 hanging on that 80 on a consistent basis. Blowing out half of them leaves you not much of a chance. Getting in and out undetected in my opinion is a must.

As far as where to set up? Got to figure out where they are feeding or bedding ... or traveling about between the two areas ... and put in the butt time waiting them out. Down my way the deer use the food plots almost esclusively at night and feed on acorns or forbs in the mid morning. So I hunt near plots in the afternoon, and around acorns or on trails starting daybreak. I can go days not seeing squat, as I did 2 weeks ago. Then in two days put 3 fat does and a nice 8 pt. in the cooler. Sort of works out that way sometimes. For me figuring out their patterns is the fun part of "hunting".

Good luck the rest of the season and hang in there. It'll happen.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:16 PM
Spike

I agree with everyone on deer being active during mid day. It's also true the deer may have you patterned. Maybe try a pop up blind, that way you can change up your locations. The blind will also help shield some of the wind and keep you warmer. You could also get a small propane heater if you are still cold, just be careful. You don't want to catch your blind on fire or asphyxiate yourself.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:22 PM
Spike

well...I stayed out all day today. 6am till noon half hour break for lunch and moved to an afternoon stand till 5pm. not a single deer. plenty of squirrels, a raccoon and an owl that about landed on my head not 4 feet infront of me! I got to talking with a few guys that hunt around me and they are seeing the same. With the amount of young bucks running around the Blue Tongue must have gotten most of the big deer? Also talked to a buddy of mine up north and someone found about 40 deer in one area ... dead. must just be a bad year to hunt.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Downrange40
well...I stayed out all day today. 6am till noon half hour break for lunch and moved to an afternoon stand till 5pm. not a single deer. plenty of squirrels, a raccoon and an owl that about landed on my head not 4 feet infront of me! I got to talking with a few guys that hunt around me and they are seeing the same. With the amount of young bucks running around the Blue Tongue must have gotten most of the big deer? Also talked to a buddy of mine up north and someone found about 40 deer in one area ... dead. must just be a bad year to hunt.
yep, lots of dead deer in Illinois from ehd. Hopefully we get more rain next summer.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:52 PM
Fork Horn

Mix it up; hunt different times of the day, and don't hunt from the same location twice in a row.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

This November has been uneventful. Part of it is hunting pressure and the greater part is my tree stand locations. A good treestand location can change as the early fall progresses to winter and the deer get on heightened alert.

Downrange 40, you should be thinking about where your treestands are located in relation to the wind and which direction you approach them from. Also think about where the deer are bedding down and your distance from them. Finally think about the trails deer move from feeding to bedding areas.. You should find something to improve on if you consider these things.