Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Your worst encounter afield with a fellow " human" >

Your worst encounter afield with a fellow " human"

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Your worst encounter afield with a fellow " human"

Old 10-01-2003, 07:30 AM

Default Your worst encounter afield with a fellow " human"

Just curiousabout your experiences... my personal worst encounter afield with a fellow " human" happened last year on state land in Michigan. I hunt a cedar swamp and pack boots in as I have to wear waders to get to my blind. I put the boots on once I get to the blind to avoid having to wear wet, cold waders during my hunt. I walked out around noon to eat lunch with my brother and left my boots in my blind, concealed behind a large log, covered with some swamp grass. When I got back to my blind a little while later, my boots were gone! I ended up meeting up with the thief later that afternoon as he came walking back through to see if there was anything else he could pilfer. He honestly seemed like he was about a half bushel shy of a half bushel.

I also had a tree stand stolen a few years back... found the lock cut at the base of the tree... only to meet up with the guy that took it a couple weeks later. Without ANY accusations, I started talking to him about how someone had taken my stand. HE ADMITTED TO TAKING IT, then proceded to tell me that it was in HIS tree (state land, mind you) and I wasn' t getting it back.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:01 AM

Default RE: Your worst encounter afield with a fellow " human"

well i had my stand taken this year also, but never met up with the guy, but last year while setting up on other property, a land owner next door told us to watch where we put our stands, we made sure to set up on the right land, the prick thought he' d be nice and ride his quad up and down the property line he did this for about a half hour. what would you do? i think if it happens again i' ll go talk to him and ask why he thinks he has to do that and what i' ve done wrong to him.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:20 AM
Typical Buck

Quack Addict, Did you get the waders or the treestand back?
Old 10-01-2003, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

We have some ticked off farmers the farm the land we hunt but the lady who owns it is relation to the 5 of us that hunt it so they hate that we hunt it and they can' t. Well one year then spread moth balls all over the woods near our stands. Stole a ladder stand and road the 4-wheeler up and down the field lanes anytime they saw our vehicles there hunting. Well last year they decided to put 3 large I-beams across the entrance to the field lane to try to keep us from driving back there becuase they say we cut ruts in the lanes and it tear up the tractors. So we talked to the owner and she said to drive around them out in the field so we did. We' ll see what happens this year but I' m sure it will top all the others. If we could just talk the lady into canning the farmers and finding someone new we would be alot better off.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:48 AM

I guess I should have included that... sorry for the omission. I did end up getting the boots back. The guy had already walked the boots back to his vehicle when I met up with him in the woods - after I left the woods early with freezing feet, I found his truck and waited there with my brothers until he walked out of the woods a good hour to hour and a half after dark. He stated " I didn' t know they were yours" ; I' d never even seen this guy before... so of course he wouldn' t know they were mine. The next words out of his mouth were " You shouldn' t leave your **** in the woods." Maybe so. My reply to him was that he shouldn' t be a thief.

I never got the tree stand back (different spot, different idiot), but I did get the valves out of his valve stems the following year. Could I argue he parked in my parking space, also on state land?
Old 10-01-2003, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don' t see how you guys put up with that crap.

titleist,

If they want to play silly @$$ games then you ought to play back. 1 bottle of Karo syrup in the crank case of a couple of tractors might give them a whole new appreciation for ******* with people.
Old 10-01-2003, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Worst encounter I had was some yahoo yelling at us for hunting to close to his house. We were on another farm (with permission) and about 300 yards and across the road from his house. We were hunting doves with 8 shot and hadn' t even fired yet.
My dad had a deer taken from him at gun point. An in-bred (literally) from neighboring land said he was taking it or else while making many references to his loaded rifle. I' ve heard others saying they had similar run-ins with this fellow. I never hunted on that end of the property. I didn' t want any chance of meeting up with that guy. Nobody' s seen this guy since the early 1980s. Maybe he ran into the wrong guy.

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 10-01-2003, 12:43 PM
Spike

My most recent bad experience was last year on opening day of m/l...I was hunting on a farm where only a couple people were supposed to be hunting, and I know all the other guys that had permission, and some guy I had never seen before came and set less than 50 yds from me...I took a leak and then left lol hopefully it kept any deer away from him.
Old 10-01-2003, 01:09 PM

Two years ago was a hot November in central Ontario. On the last day, the temperatures finally dipped below 0 (celcius) and we were all pumped.

We were doing our first run of the day. Unfortunatley, another group got in before us and there were lots of us in a relatively small area. That' s not the bad part.

As I neared the end of the run, a shot ran out. Then, two, three, then 10 and so on. Some absolute brain dead excuse for a human decides to take a cannon of his and do some target practice on the only good day of the season. He had it with a bipod sitting at a table firing at targets he put on a log pile. The worst part is that he was firing directly towards us without a proper backstop.

One of our doggers came out and rightly chewed him out. He stopped for all of 5 minutes and continued firing again. My idea was to drive behind him and all of us empty our rifles in the air. Common sense prevailed and nobody but the dogger ever got to tell him off.

Jerk!
Old 10-01-2003, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Silentassasin, That would be a great little prank to play. I forgot the add a little light on the whole story. The bad part of all this is the wife of the farmer of the land is my dad' s first cousin; my g-pa and her dad are brothers. Her family (4 boys, and a girl) for some reason all despise my family. When all this happened it ticked my dad off so he called his uncle (the farmers father in law) and they had it out on the phone. Well since then they haven' t really talked becuase of all that has gone on. At family get togethers like reunions and christmas they never show and it is never held at their parents house becuase no one will go. So needless to say they recked the family and are now pretty much outcasts. So recently the farmer, his wife, and her sisters all got into it. So now that family is basically all on their own. I' m sure I' ve totally confused everyone with all the name calling and everything. So let' s just say this family that farms the land is major problem causer in our community and there are only a few who can even put up with them. There are dozens of other stories on how stupid they are and the stunts they try to pull. But I' ll just leave it at this.

Quick Reply: Your worst encounter afield with a fellow " human"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.