Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Why Mount a Deer Head?

Old 10-01-2003, 01:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Why Mount a Deer Head?

I would agree with the memories aspect and add the fact that they' re just plain good-lookin in my book. Its a unique kind of decoration if you ask me. The women have fake flowers and fake plants and I have my fake animals.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Memories, admiration, respect, trophy, reward, rarity, dedication and the list goes on. I think most would agree looking at your mounts, horns or even pictures of hunts past will take you back to the moments before, during and after that day. Not only that you' ll probably remember the reactions, discussions, jokes, work and so on that goes with a hunt trip or group. One picture or mount can be like watching an entire hunting video, probably best left as not able to understand unless you' ve been there. However I use my mounts to tell stories of how dad or uncle got that animal and all that was involved. It is pretty rewarding to see the kids eye well up like saucers and not make a peep listening so carefully and you know (cuz we have all done this with our hunting pals and there stories) they feel like they are right there with you.

The main reason is to P off the wife...lol!
Typical reaction:
" Your not putting another head in this house!!!!" [:' (]

My typical response after she went shopping:
" hey honey I found the perfect spot for my moose mount come look in our room...it can watch TV with us now!!!!" []

Typical reaction to my response:
" Burr this doghouse is getting pretty old, need to add some insulation and get rid of that walk through door thing!!!!"
Old 10-01-2003, 03:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

So my wife has something to dust and treat with pledge and what everyone else said
Old 10-01-2003, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would like to agree with all that is said, except for the few that have them hanging there for EGO. normally during the course of the coversation " the Record Book" will be mentioned. [:@]
Old 10-02-2003, 12:46 AM

Nice answers guys! John D., I would have loved to hear your grandfather tell his story also! Good luck this year ya' ll. -- CDH
Old 10-02-2003, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

These are all great answers and I relayed them to the non-hunter. She understood all the reasons but said that it would still creep her out having a dead animal staring at her. I guess you have to be a hunter/fisherman to truly understand. A city-slicker would probably not be awe-struck by walking through Cabela' s but I was (twice in a week). I can' t see the appeal of playing Play Station 12 hours a day and never going outside but some people do. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 10-02-2003, 04:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

To me a mounted animal lives on forever.
Old 10-02-2003, 07:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Lee, I never once saw a score or book mentioned. If the word " Trophy" makes you assume or consider it an ego stroke, then I am sorry. Yes, I consider myself a trophy hunter, but in noway is it for ego stroking or do I think I am better than anyone else. I simply do it for myself, sport and pass times are about personal challenges, feeling and happiness. I first and foremost am a hunter and if I am so lucky to harvest an animal I look at that as icing on the cake" Meat & bones" are equaling a trophy and reward to me. [8D]
Old 10-02-2003, 11:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Skeeter, guess i have been hanging around with the wrong crowd. thanks for the reply, did not mean to offend anyone. used to have one head myself, biggest deer i shot with a bow.
Old 10-02-2003, 11:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Lee, no offence taken. We' re all different and have different things that crank our motors...just wanted to show even though trophy deer make may engine tick, I am a hunter just the same and think all harvests are a reward worth celebrating and giving thanks for.

Good Luck and have a great season

Quick Reply: Why Mount a Deer Head?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.