Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
New bow deer hunter need some advice >

New bow deer hunter need some advice

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New bow deer hunter need some advice

Old 11-26-2013, 06:00 PM
Spike

Question New bow deer hunter need some advice

Hi,
I am new to deer hunting I need some advice. I was wondering how quickly a deer needs to be brought to the taxidermy shop after hunting. Also do I need to bring my tags or any other paper work to the taxidermy shop? Can the taxidermist package the meat or does the butcher have to do that? Any field dressing tips or any deer hunting tips in General would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-26-2013, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry Andy, but if this post is fer real you need to find a mentor in your area... Because you obviously don't have a clue!!!
Old 11-26-2013, 06:31 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Your best answer will come from calling the taxidermist. Don't think they will process the meat, but who knows, maybe they send to someone that will. Also, they can fill you in on what tags are needed in your state. How quickly you bring it in will depend on your weather. If you have 35 degrees for the deer to hang, there is no hurry. If it is 65 degrees, then you have to hurry.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:29 AM
Spike

A mentor sounds like a good idea. I know how to hunt deer I just don't know what to do after I get one.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

At this point, that's the best suggestion I've got... I don't want to seem to rude, but feel I should say that I don't believe that you have any business in the field until you learn at least the basics of what your doing... IMHO that's very irresponsible.

Please find someone that can at least teach you the basics of field dressing, and getting your animal to a processor to get it butchered.

BTW, some taxidermists may also process deer, but I don't know of any who do in my region... Taxidermists are professionals that mount trophy animals/fish for sportsman... Very few animals that are taken ever make it to a taxidermist. If you can't process your deer yourself, you need to find a butcher/processor in your area that can. Ads in your local newspaper is a good place to start looking for them. Word of mouth from other hunters is a good way to find the best processors in your area.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:15 AM
Spike

Thanks appreciate it
Old 11-27-2013, 10:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with Lunkerdog on this one 100%. Also, if an animal is going to be mounted by a taxidermist it should be caped out ASAP by the taxidermist or someone who is versed in that and the cape taken to the taxidermist post haste, regardless of the weather so that the hide can be properly processed to prevent hair slippage, etc. If it is not going to be mounted, then if the weather is cold the carcass can be hung for a reasonable length of time before it is processed.