Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

First Buck and Bow Kill

Old 11-23-2013, 05:46 PM
Spike

Default First Buck and Bow Kill

It has been an awful year for us in north east Ohio. The deer activity has been minimal and the weather has been awful on the weekends we have been out. All that considered my buddy was able to get his buck with a bow, and it was our first kill on camera. I think I had as much of an adrenaline rush as he did and I was behind the camera! How has the rut been for the rest of you? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t031TDtJfyw

Last edited by Weekend Woodsmen; 01-02-2014 at 06:41 AM.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

NIce job of tracking. Shot was a tad back ... but hey, you guys have meat on the table. Neat double beam too.

Down here in SE Al. where I hunt the weather has not cooperated much either. Warm, very dry with easterly breezes most days. First real cold snap this week. But still no rain to speak of in the forcast for the SE area of the state. In fact there is a fire danger warning out now. The rain gauge at our place has recorded only aobut 1" since September 28.

Bucks are just now starting to mark territory .... rubs and scrapes. This is the usual timing of this activity. However a week ago, one guy did kill a nice 9 pt. that was pushing does, grunting as he did so. That is an unusually early indication of at least some of the does that hang around our place coming into heat.

Thanks for the sharing.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:25 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Mojotex
NIce job of tracking. Shot was a tad back ... but hey, you guys have meat on the table. Neat double beam too.

Down here in SE Al. where I hunt the weather has not cooperated much either. Warm, very dry with easterly breezes most days. First real cold snap this week. But still no rain to speak of in the forcast for the SE area of the state. In fact there is a fire danger warning out now. The rain gauge at our place has recorded only aobut 1" since September 28.

Bucks are just now starting to mark territory .... rubs and scrapes. This is the usual timing of this activity. However a week ago, one guy did kill a nice 9 pt. that was pushing does, grunting as he did so. That is an unusually early indication of at least some of the does that hang around our place coming into heat.

Thanks for the sharing.
Wow sounds like you guys have it worse than us weather wise! We had stretches of perfect weather, but of course it was always work days! Definitely a little far back, I think he got a little excited (only a 12 yard shot) but it was a good experience for him in tracking and patience and why you need to concentrate so hard on placing that shot. Luckily it was quartering away slightly so we did catch liver and one lung, but still a long track! Thanks for watching!
Old 11-24-2013, 11:33 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats on the first. HD.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:45 PM
Fork Horn

Well done lads, good recovery
Old 11-24-2013, 09:09 PM
Typical Buck

Awesome track job. Way to stick with it
Old 11-25-2013, 06:55 AM
Fork Horn

Fantastic hunt! You also showed a LOT of patience and discipline to wait for the right shot, and really admirable persistence with the tracking job.

You'll remember the rest of you life.

Congratulations
Old 11-25-2013, 03:00 PM
Spike

Thanks everyone, it was the highlight of the year finding him! Took everything I had to keep my buddy in the stand, but he will definitely remember it! Still can't believe he didn't lay down at all, the rut must have really had him worked up.