Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Cull buck or let live for another season >

Cull buck or let live for another season

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Cull buck or let live for another season

Old 11-22-2013, 07:32 AM
Spike

Thanks for your thoughts. I think we will let him pass this season. Our sights are on a big mature ten pt in that same bottom. We are in West Ga along the Chattahoochee River so meat kills are never a problem.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

well you may let him pass but doesn't mean the next guy will...I had a couple nice bucks on my game cam...they didn't stick around my property and went down the road...to some others property and both got shot...that's the reality of hunting. Although a little disappointed I didn't get one of them...im glad someone did.

If its not fenced in on your property its really not worth saying its a cull buck or not. because someone will shoot it for meat regardless.

I hunt to put meat in the freezer first...
Old 11-22-2013, 02:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

What state are you in?

Is he 1.5yo? 2.5yo?

a few things to notice...
no brow tines.
1 antler? was the other broken off? or just not there?
even if the other side was matching, he'd tech only be a fork... ie 4pt, some big 1.5yo around here will have 8-10pts,

to each their own, currently we're trying to remove smaller/inferior bucks.

In my eyes on our property we hunt, a 2.5yo should be a 10pt, at the very minimum an 8pt.

Makes sense to me that you'd rather have your 2.5yo 10pts breeding does vs. taking them and leaving inferior bucks to breed those does.

One thing I read that kind of rang a bell, was deer breeders aren't buying 1.5yo spikes, forks etc... when 8-10pts are available.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:56 PM
Typical Buck

Its simple, if you want the meat shoot him. if you want to shoot mature deer well then let him grow up. He would get a free pass on my property till the end of the season and an empty freezer.