Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer fever

Old 11-22-2013, 07:43 AM
Typical Buck

Talk to yourself to stay calm. Concentrate on shooting fundamentals.

Sights steady...
Breathe and hold it...
Squeeze slow....

Talk yourself through the shot and it will help you stay calm by keeping your mind busy.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

like others said if you don't get the fever its time to quit...

but what I do is close my eyes for a few seconds. and above all don't move when you first get the adrenaline rush...because that will make you make mistakes...try to calm yourself down and let the rush subside a little. Once your heart rate is back down a little then you can make your move on the deer...if it looks at you STOP don't move to the best of your ability till it looks away and starts moving again. Wait to draw or position your rifle while the deer is walking behind a tree...then stop him/her when you are in a good position to shoot the deer in the vitals...
Old 11-22-2013, 03:18 PM
Typical Buck

Honestly, I calmed down when I quit trying to shoot every deer that walked by me. I absolutly love deer hunting. There is nothing better than a deer you are not going to shoot walking up to you, and around you. Those are my victorys, those are my best stories. And I believe by doing that has kept me calm when then time comes to get ready and make the shot.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm nervous until I get the sight on them then I guess I just get in the zone.If I don't get excited then it will be time to hang it up.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WNYhunter
Honestly, I calmed down when I quit trying to shoot every deer that walked by me. I absolutly love deer hunting. There is nothing better than a deer you are not going to shoot walking up to you, and around you. Those are my victorys, those are my best stories. And I believe by doing that has kept me calm when then time comes to get ready and make the shot.
yep that's a nice feeling
Old 11-23-2013, 08:13 AM
Fork Horn

I love deer hunting and the near out of body experiences it causes me! The excitement gets me all the time and the rush is awesome! The day it no longer excites me and becomes a chore will be the day I quit hunting and take up shooting paper only! I hope to God that day never comes!
Old 11-23-2013, 08:54 AM
Fork Horn

I have missed a deer because my heart was jumping out of my chest.

Last week, 1st time I ever saw antlers in the thick stuff, my heart was pounding so hard, I couldn't move. By the time I calmed down, he was gone.