Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The one that got away...

Old 11-19-2013, 02:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's prolly at least a 160"+ buck. It's is a shame to lose one like that.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Did you recover your arrow? A lot can be learned by looking at an arrow that has passed through. Not very good at scoring myself but I know that was a darn great looking buck.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like you may have him on one of the "spurs" on top of the vertebrae. If so, it probably won't kill him unless it gets infected. There aren't any major blood vessels there, just muscle which would explain blood where he fell and why it quit after a little bit.

Several years ago I hit a pronghorn doe like that with a rifle. She went straight down and then got up running flat out. She disappeared into some gullies and I couldn't find her. The next day I was doing some glassing and saw an antelope with dried blood on here side. I stalked close and dropped her and it was the same antelope with a fresh bullet wound in the back strap.

When I boned her out one of the "spurs" was shattered. Other than the blood, there was no outward sign that she had been wounded. She moved like she wasn't hurt at all and was actually feeding when I found her the second time. Game animals are tough and will often survive a high shot that misses the vitals.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:30 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
Did you recover your arrow? A lot can be learned by looking at an arrow that has passed through. Not very good at scoring myself but I know that was a darn great looking buck.
I didn't find my arrow. I noticed just a little hanging out on the fetching side as it was lying on the ground. Pretty sure he ran off with it in him. Very disappointed in myself for not letting another arrow fly. My bow hunting inexperience really hurt me.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:21 PM
Typical Buck

I shot one time and she dropped right down. Me and a buddy stood there not 20 feet from her for about 30 minutes because another doe was coming across a field so we didn't move. Never a doubt in my mind the way my doe dropped that she was dead. My friend ended up shooting the other doe that was walking across the field. We went to look for it and were about 100 yards away when my doe got up and started walking. At first I thought it was another deer because I assumed mine was dead. Went back and found a very small blood trail and she walked across a field that that was over 1/2 mile and we never did find her. I can only assume that I hit high and close to the spine and once the shock wore off she was not hurt bad at all.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:29 AM
Fork Horn

My heart goes out to you Kyle. I can only imagine your exasperation and disappointment.
You just have to let it go as soon as you can.