Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hiking in managed woods?

Old 11-17-2013, 04:07 PM
Spike

Default Hiking in managed woods?

I'm 14 and love to go for walks in the woods across from my house, but have been wondering if it was legal or not.There are two signs that simple say "Posted" next to the woods, but the fence doesn't extend in front of the woods, so I think it may refer to the farm site next to it (If it's a farm site).Theres a rocky road next to the woods too, and it says "Lafourche Parish employees only" but the road only leads to some water development plant, not into the woods.I've never seen any hunters in the woods, but on weekdays sometimes I see rhinos (The vehicle that hunters use), and a friend said they have rhinos back there too.I know that the land isn't owned by the parish because theres all kinds of hunting stuff like deer feeders and blinds, even a stand here and there for hunters to shoot from.Never seen a hunter in those woods yet though.They are the only woods near my town other than an alligator-infested swamp with mud that will swallow you if you stand in it for more than 10 minutes.Sometimes I hear gunshots far away, but never close by.Usually I go there to collect spiders for a documentary I'm making on them, but still love the view and the wildlife.These are the woods on google maps:
HTML Code:
<iframe width="640" height="480" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=s_q&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp ;q=lockport+louisiana&amp;aq=&amp;sll=29.631853,-90.549402&amp;sspn=0.006127,0.011362&amp;t=h&amp;i e=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Lockport,+Lafourche,+Loui siana&amp;ll=29.631555,-90.551291&amp;spn=0.017905,0.027466&amp;z=15&amp;o utput=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&a mp;q=lockport+louisiana&amp;aq=&amp;sll=29.631853,-90.549402&amp;sspn=0.006127,0.011362&amp;t=h&amp;i e=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Lockport,+Lafourche,+Loui siana&amp;ll=29.631555,-90.551291&amp;spn=0.017905,0.027466&amp;z=15" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>
And will a hunter accidentally shoot me, thinking I'm a deer?Or purposely?
Thanks for any help!

EDIT: Aww html didn't work...Just go to this link: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=1+Str...4&z=17&iwloc=A
The woods are across from 1 street
Old 11-17-2013, 05:53 PM
Spike

Actually, the Google Maps link I provided gives an entirely different city after clicking it (Damn you google).This is the actual 1'st street and the woods across from it are the ones I'm talking about: http://goo.gl/maps/qIgpG
Old 11-17-2013, 08:40 PM
Typical Buck

Ask around, neighbors, etc. See if you can get your hands on a plat book and identify the landowner. If the land is owned by the parish, call local government. Good Luck.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:29 AM
Fork Horn

Thai is quite a paculiar thread. You're 14 and joined a deer hunting forum to ask about hiking?

I know that the land isn't owned by the parish because theres all kinds of hunting stuff like deer feeders and blinds, even a stand here and there for hunters to shoot from.Never seen a hunter in those woods yet though.

Um, if there's stands and feeders placed, you're in someone's hunting grounds. You may have not yet seen anyone hunting because the season may not have opened yet.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:17 AM
Typical Buck

The tax assessor at your county courthouse will have plat maps of every piece of property in the county , as well as owner contact info for every parcel. The info is free.
Find out who owns it and contact them to ask permission. It's not hard to do and many landowners will grant permission if contacted politely.