Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Best State to take my Dad to bag a trophy >

Best State to take my Dad to bag a trophy

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best State to take my Dad to bag a trophy

Old 11-17-2013, 01:50 PM
Spike

Post Best State to take my Dad to bag a trophy

My Dad and I have hunted together for over 25 years in New York State. The last few years have been slim pickings for us. Bagging a trophy buck is on his bucket list. We are both former NYC firefighters and would like some advice on where to book a guided whitetail hunt. There is so much stuff on the internet about ranches and we only bag big bucks etc. I understand its all about the money but could someone please recommend a nice place with a good reputation. I would really like to take him somewhere he will never forget. Thanks
Old 11-17-2013, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

Before this gets into a high fence hunt "discussion," I'm guessing that's not a real option since you've both hunted for 25 years. You mentioned "trophy buck" but didn't explain exactly what you (or your dad) considers a "trophy." You also didn't mention what type of weapon you want to use--rifle, shotgun, black powder or bow. You specified a whitetail buck so that narrows it down somewhat. Do you have a limit on how much you want to spend?

I don't have a specific outfitter to recommend but I would suggest you consider an outfitter who can get you tags on a private ranch (not high fenced) and can put you on decent animals where your dad has good opportunities on making stalks and shot opportunities. No guarantees, that's why they call it hunting. In general, you might want to consider looking in Iowa, Wisconsin and some other states in that part of the country. Some of them have big whitetail bucks and low hunting pressure.

Hopefully some of the other guys can recommend a specific outfitter(s). Do your home work on whichever outfitter you decide to go with so you get the experience you want. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

Thunder Ridge Outfitters in Iowa.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:51 PM
Fork Horn

I don't know of any outfitters but I know If I wanted to book a trophy hunt I would be researching places in Kansas, Iowa, and Illinois
Old 11-17-2013, 07:12 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by kenified06
Kansas, Iowa, and Illinois

I would add Indiana & Kentucky to that list as well. Do some research. Just because places are expensive doesn't mean they're good.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just to be clear, what type of deer are we talking about? Mulie? Whitetail? Sitka Blacktail? Columbia Blacktail? Coues? I may be able to make some recommendations but first I need to know what you're looking for.

Back when I wanted to take my father on a special hunt I didn't want to go for something he had hunted before. So, I took him to South Africa as a retirement present. You may be surprised to find out you can do Africa for less than you can do North America.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by flags
Just to be clear, what type of deer are we talking about? Mulie? Whitetail? Sitka Blacktail? Columbia Blacktail? Coues?
I thought he was clear when he mentioned a "guided whitetail hunt"?
Old 11-18-2013, 05:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by early in
I thought he was clear when he mentioned a "guided whitetail hunt"?
And that Folks, is what happens when you get on a forum before you have had your coffee!

If I wanted a really big whitetail I'd be looking to the prairie states. NE, KS and both Dakotas have some monsters. NE is kind of a sleeper but I have seen huge bucks around Valentine. MT, WY and CO all have good whitetails as well. Most of these areas would also have mulies so you would have to do some soul searching if you want a whitetail and a big mulie steps out.

MN and WI also kick out some good deer. It goes without saying the IL, IN and IA have huge bucks but they can be pricey. Closer to where the originator is he could look into ME and NH. Both those states kick out some good deer.

Before any serious recommendations are made, there is some additional info that needs to be offered:

#1) What constitutes "big" to you?
#2) How far do you want to go?
#3) How much do you want to spend?
#4) What method do you want to use? Bow/rifle/muzzleloader?
#5) Is one time of year better for you than another?
Old 11-18-2013, 06:00 AM
Fork Horn

Was going after whitetails would have to say Iowa, Illinois, Kansas and Indiana along Ohio. Mule deer I would go to Montana, Wyoming, Colorado , Idaho.
As for outfitters you will have to do some research on that. Am planning on doing a "Trophy" hunt myself in 2015 down in Texas. As for "Trophy" am talking any deer above 170 I would love to shoot once in my life.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's all good flags. lol

I don't know how much money you planned to spend, but I seriously believe your best chances of killing a truely big buck are in Alberta or Sask. Yes, there are big bucks in the mid west, but these 2 Provinces have a greater number of really big bucks. These areas are so remote and unhunted that many of their deer have never even seen a hunter (maybe an occasional farmer), and end up dying of old age. Old age = big racks! Canada is in a class of it's own, and your Dad deserves it!

Guides are many, just do some research. Most importantly, talk to folks who have hunted with a given guide!!!!!!!! Any good guide should be more than happy to supply you with a list of references for you to contact. Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.