Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Long winter = small racks?

Old 11-15-2013, 02:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Long winter = small racks?

Here in WI, we had a long tough end to the winter this year. Basically we had 2 1/2 months of February. It seems that the racks I've been seeing are smaller this year. Harvested bucks that are 3 1/2 years old are sporting racks that I would swear are typical for 2 1/2 yr. old deer.
Anybody else seeing this?
Old 11-15-2013, 03:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Don't say that- SMALL racks

Why it would be the death of modern deer hunting, post 70's. How could we have any cable tv hunting shows just showing Y racks? Why people are expecting a 35 point buck any day now.

Can you see some guy spending 45 hours in a tree stand, without a working iphone, waiting patiently for a huge y buck. And some poor guy spending thousands to do it.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do not observe long winters = small racks but if your opinion is based on deer getting malnurished during tough winters then you might have a point. It is all the reason to set up mineral licks after season and throughout the winter and early spring.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:58 AM
Typical Buck

Anything that puts stress on the animal and results in it being in poorer condition will have an effect on the antlers it can grow.
Just like your rose bushes will bloom less when the plant itself is putting all it's energy into basic survival.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:28 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
Anything that puts stress on the animal and results in it being in poorer condition will have an effect on the antlers it can grow.
Just like your rose bushes will bloom less when the plant itself is putting all it's energy into basic survival.
Thats a good way of putting it
Old 11-15-2013, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rack size is proportionate to food/minerals availability IMO...a mild spring with lots of food through the summer will give the antlers good growth. likewise a dry spring/summer will hurt antler growth. previous long winter really don't affect the "antler growth" because they aren't growing...it does deplete their body fat if food is scarce. just from what ive seen...spring and summer is vital for antler growth.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:44 AM
Spike

I also hunt in wisconsin, Oconto county to be exact. And i have seen nice deer but i would have to agree on a smaller antlers in general.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:13 PM
Fork Horn

You could say long winter or crappy spring...however you want to say it.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:32 PM
Typical Buck

Long winter = small racks ?

Hmmmmm, that explains that gal from Fairbanks I dated back in the 70s.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:37 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
Long winter = small racks ?

Hmmmmm, that explains that gal from Fairbanks I dated back in the 70s.
Lol!thats funny

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.