Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Iron Sight Questions

Old 11-12-2013, 06:44 AM
Spike

Default Iron Sight Questions

I am going deer hunting this weekend for the first time. I am going with a buddy who has been hunting about 5 seasons now. I will be using my Dads 30-06. I purchased 150 grain Fusion 30-06 ammo. The only problem is the gun has iron sights. I wont be shooting more than 50 yards in the stand I will be in, but Im a little unsure as to how to sight it in. I dont know if I should sight it in at 100 yards or 50, and if so how do you adjust with iron sights for the different yardage when in the field. And if anyone has some useful tips for a first time hunter include them below!

Last edited by andrew_rigsby; 11-12-2013 at 06:56 AM.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:20 AM
Fork Horn

Sight it in at 50 yards and you'll be good to go even at 100 yards.

I don't think it would make any difference with a high power rifle as it makes almost no difference with even a relatively slow shotgun slug.

The 1/2 or 1 inch difference between 50 and 100 yards with my .308 has more to do with the physical separation of the barrel and the scope than with gravity.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you are certain that you won't shot more than 50 yards, then sight it in a little high (1 inch max) at 50 yards. That's the easy part. It is the adjustment part that can get tricky.

You don't say if the sights are adjustable. Most open sights are but there are some that aren't. If the rear sight is fully adjustable then you can move the impact up and down or right and left simply by adjusting the rear sight. Some rear sights are only adjustable for up and down and not right and left. if that is the case you need to tap either the front of rear sight one way or another depending on where you want the point of impact to move. This is often called "windage drift".

If the rear sight isn't adjustable and is fully fixed (common on many European rifles) then the only way to raise or lower the aimed point of impact is to either file the groove in the rear sight slightly deeper or to file down the height of the front sight. If this has to be done you want to be very, very careful because once the metal is removed it is gone forever. if you take too much metal off, then you've got some real problems. If the rear sight is fixed you would need to adjust "windage drift" in the manner stated above.

If you're serious about using this rifle as your main hunting rig I'd suggest scoping it or installing a good peep sight if don't like scopes.

Last edited by flags; 11-12-2013 at 07:26 AM.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:54 AM
Spike

Ya a friend suggest getting a scope. I am an avid fisherman so Im not sure if I will get into hunting. If I do I will prob. just buy a good 3x9 scope to put on it. This advice has been great though thanks alot guys!
Old 11-12-2013, 09:33 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

If you know 50 yds is your max distance, pace off the 50 yd, shoot 3 rounds into a good size chunk of firewood with a black dot in the center, and if you are within 2" of center, you are set. Aim dead center in lungs area (see http://www.deerhuntingbasics.com/ima...ement-500B.jpg ) and with that 30-06 that deer will be down for the count.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Move the rear sight in the direction you want the bullet to go. For example, if you shoot a group of 3 shots, and they impact to the left of your point of aim, adjust the rear sight to the right. If the group is high of your point of aim, lower the rear sight.

If you need to adjust the front sight, do the opposite, move the front sight in the opposite direction that you want the bullet to go.