Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Local antler peculiarity?

Old 11-12-2013, 03:11 AM
Spike

Default Local antler peculiarity?

Most bucks in my area seem to have a "weak" right antler...meaning, morphologically similar to the left antler, just a little shrunken or retarded looking.

Sometimes this is as subtle as an otherwise symmetrical buck with slightly shorter tines on his right. But it's very predictable...if there's a discrepancy between a buck's antlers in this area, you can almost guarantee his left is a little bigger than his right.

Anyone else notice this?
Old 11-12-2013, 03:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Back in NH, we hunted a lot one one side of a long lake. Most deer from that area did not have browtines.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well most things in NY lean to the left so maybe the deer do too?LOL OK couldn't let that one get by.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:03 AM
Spike

I had a similar problem on my farm in Kansas last year. We kept seeing bucks with a typical left side and on the right side one giant spike 12" or more and bladed at the end. "Cull bucks" I think is the term. Either way, we took out 3 bucks like this last year and this year every buck we have seen is typical. I think the Kansas drought had a big deal to play in their antler development last year.