Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
how would you deer hunt this property? >

how would you deer hunt this property?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

how would you deer hunt this property?

Old 11-11-2013, 10:20 AM
Spike

Default how would you deer hunt this property?

This is about 3 acres +/- woods and I'm able to shoot out in the open fields around it. Its the woods that looks like a bean shape in the middle of the photo. In the photo, North would be up. There is a ditch the runs east To west on the south side of the woods. Any suggestion on how to hunt this?
Attached Thumbnails how would you deer hunt this property?-screenshot_2013-11-11-13-17-36.jpg  

Last edited by Tektonik87; 11-11-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Put a fixed treestand and the downwind side of the woods. Make it so you can get to it without making any noise. Only hunt when you and the treestand are on the downwind side of the woods. You will not have any room for errror in a woods that size. The ditch on the south side might be a good bet.

There is a 3 acre wooded lot surrounded by crop fields and bigger woods on a property that I hunt on. Deer always frequent the spot, and is a tough nut to crack.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:32 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by d80hunter
Put a fixed treestand and the downwind side of the woods. Make it so you can get to it without making any noise. Only hunt when you and the treestand are on the downwind side of the woods. You will not have any room for errror in a woods that size. The ditch on the south side might be a good bet.

There is a 3 acre wooded lot surrounded by crop fields and bigger woods on a property that I hunt on. Deer always frequent the spot, and is a tough nut to crack.
So your thinking put a stand on the south side of the woods?
Old 11-11-2013, 06:10 PM
Fork Horn

I see nothing but open fields with that tiny patch of woods in the middle.. Id go with what he said.. put the stand in the woods.. and hunt it in the morning and not the evening because Id say they will be bedding in there.. catch them coming back not blow them out in the afternoon... cant really see the map that well
Old 11-11-2013, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Tektonik87
So your thinking put a stand on the south side of the woods?
Two things I would like to know

1. Which way are the prevailing winds?

2. Which direction are you approaching the woods to hunt.

For example if you are approaching from the north and the winds normally come out of the south then set up on the north side. If the winds change from the north then hunt somewhere else. If you approach from the south then set up on the south end and hunt during days with north wind.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:40 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by d80hunter
Two things I would like to know

1. Which way are the prevailing winds?

2. Which direction are you approaching the woods to hunt.

For example if you are approaching from the north and the winds normally come out of the south then set up on the north side. If the winds change from the north then hunt somewhere else. If you approach from the south then set up on the south end and hunt during days with north wind.
This is the proper way.