Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

buck decoy or doe decoy

Old 11-07-2013, 07:47 AM
Spike

Default buck decoy or doe decoy

hey guys I have the boss buck and this is the first year I use a deer decoy.i used it the other night and had a nice buck come to the feild1 edge and stop once it seen the decoy and turned and started walking down the fence line.i don't know if it spooked him or if he was going to go down wind of it and come in. I just started seeing the big bucks start chasing and staying with does so my ? is do I still use the buck decoy or should I take the horns off to make it a doe. I didn't know if I could take the horns off it?would it look to big to be a doe or will that not matter. thanks for the help guys love the form.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:18 AM
Fork Horn

Get a set, They come in sets for about $119.00 from amazon.com
Old 11-07-2013, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

use it as a buck with some challenge scent. if you see a deer (One that is not really close) you can grunt/snort them in to challenge.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:51 AM
Spike

thanks for the quick replie guys. im going to give it a shot tonight the wind is finally right for the stand I want to hunt we been seeing a big one running around for the last week but couldn't hunt the stand because the wind was blowing right to his bed hopefully he comes out before dark this time. I hunted the stand last week and he showed right after shooting time
Old 11-07-2013, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Either can work, just depends on the day, the buck that sees it, and a lot of dumb luck.

Last year during pre-rut, we had ours out as a buck (Glendel Buck archery target), one single grunt sound drew the attention of 7 shooter bucks to our decoy, and they crossed 400yrds of wheat stubble to come investigate. My wife put a nice 9 pointer in the dirt.

A great tactic is to use two decoys, a buck, and a doe without its legs installed, as if she was laying on the ground around 20-40yrds in front of the buck. I've had good success with this in the past. Whether the buck is looking to get lucky, or defend his territory, you have it covered.