Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My first "real" deer season

Old 11-27-2013, 06:55 AM
Fork Horn

A change in a deer's environment will make them more alert. Everyone thinks "the snow stopped, deer have to be moving". I have found the opposite to be true. They will get used to the snow covering quickly and then realize it is cold and they have to find food. They will be moving within two days, so stay after it.

Also, the moon moving to a "new moon phase" will help get them on their feet a little earlier. They will be alert though, so when you have a chance to kill something do it expeditiously.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by NEhomer
I only have what google earth shows which is a summertime picture so it's hard to see much. The area is nice mix of small fields, flats, slopes and marsh. A number of oak trees as well.

I'd take it easy on covering the entire 100 acres this time of year.

Yeah, that's a concern and we've been careful about not making too much of a presence but yesterday, I figured if there's literally not a single track, what could I possibly spook?

The West border is a large swamp and beaver pond. To the East is a high ridge. It seems like a natural funnel from North to South so we plan on pinching that area between the two stands and see what gets pushed through. Seems like that's about all we've got to work with. We did photograph a number of bucks and a couple of doe groups back in October and early November so there has to be something around.

Could that first snowstorm of the year cause them to lock up and bed down all day?
Yeah it certainly could. I like to pay attention to deer in general. Take a ride and see if you see deer out and about. If I go hunting and see nothing then see 50 deer on the way home I start to worry about my spot.

Did you see deer moving anywhere else? Any buddies having any luck elsewhere?

Hard freeze could change feeding patterns, full moon they run all night and bed all day, nasty weather, just all kinds of things to figure. Is the rut over? just starting? in full swing? anything near by they could eat without digging in the snow?

What is the hunting pressure situation? Bow season? Gun season? etc.

Last edited by rockport; 11-27-2013 at 06:59 AM.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:32 AM
Fork Horn

Well thanks for the input you guys...again, we're gonna get out there and see what we see and make a game plan from there.

I'll keep y'all posted.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Could that first snowstorm of the year cause them to lock up and bed down all day?
Absolutely... It's a phenomena I witness every year here in MN. After the first major snowfall every year the deer shut down the next day, we see very little signs of movement that first day... It's as if they realize that they've suddenly become more vulnerable... That's about the only thing that I can figure, because after each subsequent snow storm the deer are up and moving pretty much immediately afterwards as long as the winds have settled down.

I'm pretty sure that if there isn't another reason that the deer aren't moving, such as hunter pressure, your going to be surprised at how much sign you see tomorrow in the new snow.

Last edited by Lunkerdog; 11-27-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:26 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks Lunkerdog, I do think we're gonna see something this next week but more daily activity would be nice. We got that huge storm here in the east and it's all rain so that snow's long gone. I knew that I only had yesterday day to look. There are plenty of Christmases where we still don't have snow. It ain't like the old days.

I am getting psyched to just be in the woods. Got away from it when my turkey woods got sold in about '06 and I ended up not seeking out new territory. I'm hoping that this new property holds birds this spring as well.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:28 AM
Fork Horn

Well me and Phil spent the entire day on the property yesterday. Unfortunately but not unpredictably, we didn't see anything. Nothing all day while several shots were heard in the area.

I think what we have is a once plentiful deer grounds but things have changed, Again, the historical rub evidence is everywhere but we've seen only a few fresh ones. As I said earlier, we'll be plotting out a plan to attract them once again.

That said, quitters never win, winners never quit and we'll be on stand as much as work will allow. Hopefully, something will drift by~
Old 12-05-2013, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

There's a swamp area that sits well below a high ridge to the east. We found a number of fresh and large rubs at the top of the ridge. I'm suspecting that the fellow responsible may be currently residing in that thick stuff since the start of the guns booming. It's at the Northwest area of the property and darned if we haven't had a Southeast wind the past two days so I've stayed out of there.

Looks like we have an ice/snow storm overnight Friday and finally a Northwest wind on Saturday. Guess I know where I'll be setting up Sat a.m.

...and sure, I know I'm just talking to myself in here
Old 12-05-2013, 05:58 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by rockport
Slowly squeeze the trigger so it surprises you a little when it goes off.

If you are really having trouble take a buddy with you to shoot targets, have him load your gun before every shot and tell him to leave it empty sometimes. Do that until you don't jump on the empties.
this helped me out.

one other thing that helped me was resting it between my thumb and forefinger, instead of grabbing it. once I learned that I would go out holding it. but that helped me a lot as well.