Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Choosing the right bow.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:59 AM
Spike

Question Choosing the right bow.

Hey guys! I need an idea of what bow to buy. I hunt with a shotgun but a need more deer hunting time! I am going to hunt deer and maybe a bear (if I do encounter one). What draw weight is suitable for deer? I found a Martin Crossbow (Less than $200) with 40-70Lb draw weight (different models same price).Would the 70Lb draw weight be overkill?
Old 11-02-2013, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are you talking compound bow or crossbow? Seems like a 70lb crossbow is far too light, most are in the 150-185lb range these days.

If you're looking at a compound bow, no reason to not get a 70lb bow.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Are you talking compound bow or crossbow? Seems like a 70lb crossbow is far too light, most are in the 150-185lb range these days.

If you're looking at a compound bow, no reason to not get a 70lb bow.
unless you have shoulder problems....60 is what I have so I can keep whats left of my shoulder intact...lol
Old 11-03-2013, 02:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

If your in New York City, drive over to New Jersey to Targeters Archery located on Rt. 46 west in Saddle Brook, NJ. I've been dealing with them for 34 yrs, I grew up within a mile of them, moved out of the area 5 yrs ago I'm over a hour away and still use them
Old 11-03-2013, 12:55 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

If I were buying a new compound bow, I would go with Hunters Friend at www.huntersfriend.com - they set you up properly with all accessories and sight in your bow to 3 shots within 2" at 25 yds.

A good crossbow at a moderate price would be the Tenpoint Wicked Ridge Warrior HL Standard Crossbow - you can get it at Gander Mtn or Amazon. I will probably be getting this one soon.

Last edited by MZS; 11-03-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:44 PM
Spike

here's my 2 cents... hands down.. Barnett Preditor crossbow, 175 pounds of killing machine. I shoot 70 yard bulls eyes consistly. couple your bolts with 125 grain Swackers or Rage heads and you'll drop that bear from a good distance. Compound? that's easy...2013 Elite Hunter coupled with a 2013 Trophy Ridge site.......awesome bow. Very important you'll also need a good range finder. buy one that gives you angle ranges to compensate for tree stands. I own both weapons and love them both. Good luck!
Old 11-04-2013, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are many bows out there. For a beginning archer, I would suggest a bow design that is known to be "forgiving" as opposed to a design known for getting the highest velocity. Also, get something with an draw weight adjustment range that allows you to "grow" into it, like 50 - 70. You don't want to develop bad habits by starting with something too heavy. I'd start on the lower end of the price scale. Mission has some great bows that won't be too expensive and can be adjusted over quite a range of weight and draw length. Finally, be sure to get some guidance from experienced people regarding getting the bow set up properly for length, proper shooting form, grip, etc.