Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bad Archery Shot - Help!

Old 11-02-2013, 04:15 AM
Spike

Default Bad Archery Shot - Help!

Hi everybody,

This morning about an hour ago, I saw a real gnarly looking 6 pointer, and when he presented the chance, I ended up taking a shot.
Well, the shot him too far forward. Not so far up that it grazed him, and not high enough to have hit the shoulder bone, it was just at the top of his leg, and appeared to have only penetrated about 5-7". When the arrow hit him, he grunted, reared up on his hind legs, and took off, scrambling through the woods. When I got down, there was barely any blood. This is my first deer and I'm 15.
Now the woods he ran in I know better than the back of my hand. My first question is, how long should I wait to track him? I was thinking at least give him until 2 or 3 PM. Next question, how should I track him? I was going to just try and follow the leaves that're kicked up, hopefully find more blood. If that didn't work, then I'd just comb the woods, check water sources. What do you guys think?
Thanks!
Old 11-02-2013, 04:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

5-6" of penetration in the area where I believe you are describing is enough to kill a deer. The heart isn't far behind that leg bone. You are doing right by backing out. Go back this afternoon and do what you said and I think if you take your time and go methodically you will find him piled up within 150 yards of where you stuck him. Good luck.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:55 AM
Spike

You did the best thing you could have by backing out. Let him lay a few hours and see if you can find some family or friends to help track him. I have found that having more than one set of eyes helps in a big way. I think you will find him within 150 - 200 yards of your hit.Don't get frustrated with this, many bow hunters have been in your shoes today. Good Luck and let us know the results.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:22 AM
Spike

Thanks guys. I know if he's down, that I will find him. If he's not down, then I just hope he lives.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:08 AM
Spike

I think you are on the right track. That's plenty deep to do some damage. That broadhead wiggling around in there will do its job. As far no blood, well, the arrow is probably plugging the hole. Granted, that's gonna make for a tough time tracking but not to worry. Go in later like you suggested, but allow enough time (daylight) to track him. Maybe take some marker tape and leave it as you go so you can get an idea of how/where he is traveling and to know where you have been already.

I've arrowed a few deer myself where the arrow did not pass thru which made tracking difficult. One things that works for me is don't over think it as far as tracking goes. Get on a the trail and just ask yourself, which way would I go? I know it sounds silly and simple, but it has worked for me on many occasions. That combined with a visual reference from some marker tape will increase your odds of recovery. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out, either way....

Last edited by FungusFinder; 11-02-2013 at 06:15 AM.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:56 AM
Spike

I'm going out in about an hour, ill let y'all know how it goes, and if I find him, ill post a picture of the deer and its wound location. If I don't find him, then ill conclude hed lived.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:28 AM
Spike

Had a great blood trail and followed it for 500-600 yards. Then it just died out. My friend and I searched for 2 hours in circles around the last drop. Nothing. I got a text from the guy whose land I was searching on, and he said no sign of the deer. He suggested to check the standing corn not far away. I'm busy for tonight, so do you think if I combed that field tomorrow morning, the meat would be ok? It was 60 today and 35 tonight. I wanna find that deer!
Old 11-02-2013, 05:55 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Njhunter1118
Had a great blood trail and followed it for 500-600 yards. Then it just died out. My friend and I searched for 2 hours in circles around the last drop. Nothing. I got a text from the guy whose land I was searching on, and he said no sign of the deer. He suggested to check the standing corn not far away. I'm busy for tonight, so do you think if I combed that field tomorrow morning, the meat would be ok? It was 60 today and 35 tonight. I wanna find that deer!
Well, a blood trail is encouraging. Go forth in the direction of the blood trail and see if you can pick it up again or seek out areas of thick cover and water and look around. Deer have been known to back track when wounded as well, so back tracking from where you last seen blood and look for areas of cover and water. Far as the meat being good, that's a hard call. Depends on WHEN he died. If the carcass layed there thruout the day, I'd say no, especially if he was in the sun. However, he may not have expired yet and if he does so during the night, if you find him come morning, clean him out quickly and get him cool, it should be fine.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

where in NJ are you? If your near me I will be more then happy to help you search
Old 11-03-2013, 02:04 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by BOWHUNTERCOP
where in NJ are you? If your near me I will be more then happy to help you search
Salem County, but either way that deer is gone. I went out this morning and searched the standing corn adjacent to the woods I lost him in. Nothing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.