Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What if?

Old 09-30-2003, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What if?

Intriguing idea.

How would it react to getting wet? That is the main problem with pellets in a feeder. When it rains the pellets that are on the bottom and exposed to the elements swell and stick together, causing the feeder to stop throwing pellets.

Would be about twice the price of corn in my area ($4-5/bag depending on the year), so it might be a hard sell to the public. Corn is king in this area for price and attracting deer, however, you are correct, when we have a good acorn crop, corn will rot on the ground. Deer simply like acorns better.

I would worry about how a 27% pellet would affect the stomach of a deer. Acorns would probably take a lot longer to digest and wouldn' t be fully digestable, whereas a pellet would be broken down fast and well digested. Could it possibly affect the rumen (fermentation vat part of the stomach) bacteria in some detrimental way? Have you done any feeding trials with this product?

Don' t mean to rain on your parade, just hopefully doing what you want: trying to find any potential problems before you bring it to the market. If it was on the market and appeared to be safe to feed, I would try it.

As far as the problems with corn, I believe you were referring to its potential for getting a fungus called aflatoxin which can cause various problems, including liver damage. Deer tend to be tolerant to low levels due to the bacteria in their rumen that break down their food, but high enough levels will kill anything. Several years ago, some aflatoxin corn got into some generic dog foods and killed quite a few dogs. But I digress

Good luck with your idea.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:37 PM

Sounds like you might be onto something here, mr4pt. But a couple of questions about your product.

How natural is it? Because deer need to build up levels of specific types of bacteria in their rumen when introduced to new foods. If this is a natural product, there shouldn' t be a problem.

Are the shapes irregular like corn and alfalfa pellets? Most timed feeders rely on the shape of the corn to keep them from pouring out when the motor/rotor is idle.

How can you manufacture something like this for only $8 for 50 lbs? Yeh, it might be twice what I pay for corn in Texas, but for the protein you' re talking about, it would probably be worth it, especially if it is as palatable as you say, which brings me to my final question:

How do you know it tastes EXACTLY like white acorns[X(]? I wouldn' t want to be the taste tester in your operation.

All kidding aside, it sounds like a marketable product that would have several compelling reasons for consumers to consider.

MDJ
Old 09-30-2003, 11:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

mr4pt,

Just a suggestion. Talk to a few deer farms about the idea. Find out what types of pellets they are using for their feed. I know their pellets are packed full of nutrients for proper nutrition and antler growth. Find out how the pellets that they use affect their digestive tract.

Below I have put a link to Double Diamond Deer Ranch which is located in Cook Forest, PA. I have personally been to this deer ranch, interacted with the trophy deer, and I must say, these people run a quality educational based operation. The lady in charge (Rusty), should be more than willing to help you with any nutritional questions you might have. She may even be able to offer some ideas or routes you may want to take when trying to produce this product. She knows her deer and raises them to be monsters!

While your at the web site, look around, take a look at the pictures of these tame deer. They are absoutly huge! I will post pictures soon from my recent trip in August to this deer ranch.

http://www.doublediamonddeerranch.com/

Phone: 814-752-6334 (Double Diamond Deer Ranch)
Old 10-05-2003, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

How about it Mr4pt. Are we way off base or have we thrown some flies in the ointment?