Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Obese deer & age guess?

Old 10-29-2013, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dang thats a hog. I have a hard time believing a deer could get that big by 2.5. That thing has to be pushing 300lbs live weight. What in the world you feeding them deer?
Old 10-29-2013, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I loved hunting TN when I lived there. That is a hog. I would guess 3.5 with age. I bet is BP is through the roof. Better not spoke him going into your stand he might have a heart attack.

Also I agree your son can make his own choices. People hunt for different reasons.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

People hunt for different reasons.
Agreed, and I also would have been proud of a young son that had let two bucks walk for the sake of QDM.

Many don't have that option. Four seasons ago I could take a buck, and four antler-less deer. After a few tough Winters, this year I can take one deer of either sex. It's nice when you have the option, but some here in MN only hunt a two week rifle season, and many of them may only be able to hunt the weekends. For some, to let a buck like that walk may be letting their only chance that season walk away.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's a big sucker but he wouldn't be legal in PA due to antler restrictions.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:34 PM
Fork Horn

I"ve shot some old bucks, 6.5, 5.5, 4.5 , 3.5 ( 2) and a few 2.5 yr olds, never had one that after skinning smelled musky or tasted any different

That is a PIG of a deer, he has a 7.5 yr old body and a 2.5 yr old nose ?

Wow.. if you guys every kill that thing I'd love to send a tooth off to have it aged..

I had a 9 point buck I shot under after hitting a weed a couple years ago, on video ( why do you always get perfect video of yoru misses ? LOL) but he had a huge body like this, but I was sure he was just 2.5 or 3.5.. maybe 130 gross...

Now I did shoot him for the body size.. I try to shoot bigger bodied mature deer, I love the racks but as long as they are over 125" and I got my bow its a shooter
Old 10-29-2013, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

I will say , not trying to start anything, that letting this dude walk is only letting his genetics continue on.. its a hard line.. to let it walk in hopes of a better or help the herd out and take it out.. especially before breeding season.

Personally I don't care what people shoot or pass.. as long as they are legal
Old 10-30-2013, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bowhunterjohn
I"ve shot some old bucks, 6.5, 5.5, 4.5 , 3.5 ( 2) and a few 2.5 yr olds, never had one that after skinning smelled musky or tasted any different

That is a PIG of a deer, he has a 7.5 yr old body and a 2.5 yr old nose ?

Wow.. if you guys every kill that thing I'd love to send a tooth off to have it aged..

I had a 9 point buck I shot under after hitting a weed a couple years ago, on video ( why do you always get perfect video of yoru misses ? LOL) but he had a huge body like this, but I was sure he was just 2.5 or 3.5.. maybe 130 gross...

Now I did shoot him for the body size.. I try to shoot bigger bodied mature deer, I love the racks but as long as they are over 125" and I got my bow its a shooter

you can just look at the jaw and see how old it is...no need to send off a tooth..
Old 10-30-2013, 08:59 PM
Typical Buck

Well at least he now has a name, a bud on another site saw these pics & said if left to grow he'll become a "Mack truck" so Mack it is!
Old 10-31-2013, 04:25 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bowhunterjohn
I will say , not trying to start anything, that letting this dude walk is only letting his genetics continue on.. its a hard line.l
That's my take on it, if he doesn't put on mass next year (he looks 2.5 yrs to me), he get's the arrow or the bullet. A big part of QDM is knowing when to drop the string on a weak genetic buck. Maybe TN is my retirement state.

Last edited by *twodogs*; 10-31-2013 at 04:29 AM.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

I would say that deer is older than what everyone is thinking. I say 5.5 years at least. You really cant go by antler size. He has the big barrel chest and the belly sags.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.