Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What do you think this "growth" is on a buck that went past my camera? >

What do you think this "growth" is on a buck that went past my camera?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What do you think this "growth" is on a buck that went past my camera?

Old 10-31-2013, 01:01 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by RWK
Looks like a smoke alarm
...if that's the case, I can't wait to hear the damned battery go dead. lol
Old 10-31-2013, 01:48 PM
Spike

I think it's a big A** cyst. I winter in the Florida Keys dead in the middle of the key deer herd.... cute little buggers are so friendly you can hand feed em and pet em. My dad snatched up a buck by the horns last year and cut a cyst just like this one open with his razor sharp buck knife. Popped like a balloon and all kinds of nasty puss blew out. 3 days later the buck was in the yard looking fine
Old 10-31-2013, 03:22 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by dougvarrieur
I think it's a big A** cyst. I winter in the Florida Keys dead in the middle of the key deer herd.... cute little buggers are so friendly you can hand feed em and pet em. My dad snatched up a buck by the horns last year and cut a cyst just like this one open with his razor sharp buck knife. Popped like a balloon and all kinds of nasty puss blew out. 3 days later the buck was in the yard looking fine
Nice! Good deed done.. lol
Old 11-03-2013, 02:39 PM
Fork Horn

I was out on the land a week ago to check the camera - I did find blood near where the buck walked through. I knew someone had shot a deer on the land a week before - but I just finally confirmed it wasn't near my camera.

Could be from this guy.... or otherwise there's something else leaking on the property... We'll see!
Old 11-03-2013, 07:01 PM
Fork Horn

Did anyone notice the other strange anomaly??? As the buck exits the cameras view, look just in front of its left hind leg where the leg connects to the body..

Looks like another wound there or something..

You can see it really nicely at 20 seconds.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:09 PM
Typical Buck

It looks like a "shoot me here" marker.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:37 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Murby
Did anyone notice the other strange anomaly??? As the buck exits the cameras view, look just in front of its left hind leg where the leg connects to the body..

Looks like another wound there or something..

You can see it really nicely at 20 seconds.
I'm not sure - I think it's just how his hair/skin is... I don't think it looks like another wound though?

Originally Posted by DJfan
It looks like a "shoot me here" marker.
Someone else may have thought that too, and gotten the shoulder. Not 100% sure... Hopefully I'll get a better shot at it on camera, or see it on my stand in a few weeks.