Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

"Urban Deer" - Need Advice!!

Old 10-21-2013, 08:06 PM
Spike

Default "Urban Deer" - Need Advice!!

Hey guys, I'm between a novice & expert when it comes to whitetails, LOL. I know how to "put my nose to the ground" and predict deer activity. But this has me stumped.

I live in Tennessee, next to a small subdivision that is currently under development. I was given permission to hunt (bow only, as it is in city limits). It is not a very big plot of woods, but for the size of the plot, there is a TON of activity. So far, on my cam, I have pics of a BUNCH of does, 3 spikes, a 4-point, 6-point & "Big Daddy" 8-point.

I assume the 8-point is the dominate buck, who has been rubbing like CRAZY (10+ rubs found in a 1-acre area). The only picture I have of him is at 6:00AM, just before dawn. All of the rubbing activity is concentrated within the black circle on the map (See aerial photo). I have not found much sign outside of that circle. All of the rubs are concentrated around a collection of white oaks (acorn food source), that is surrounded by thick under brush. I have not seen any scrapes.

My stand, in my opinion, is in an excellent spot, by a primary food source. Yet, I have not seen ANY of the bucks. Nor have I seen any new rubs in almost a week. I'm seeing does every day that I'm in my stand (both AM & PM). Since I'm not seeing any bucks, I need suggestions on if I need to change my location and maybe focus more on the enclosed field on the North side of the woods (see wider aerial photo)? Or should I just "wait it out" and see what happens when the rut kicks-in.

Last edited by JasonL; 10-21-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

where the does are the bucks are not far...its buck only here in Idaho right now...and my wife shot a buck not far from where a doe was...the big bucks aren't rutting here yet so they wont be making mistakes...yet...give it some time the little 6point my wife shot came out to check out the doe which didn't want anything to do with him and he got taken/shot
Old 10-22-2013, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would try different spots. I marked another spot they may be bedding. Also where I might put some other stands. I see theres some houses that border the farmers field. I'm assuming it's a cut crop field? I would ask someone who lives there. Hey do you see deer in that field and when. Can't hurt and sure would help you out greatly.
Attached Thumbnails "Urban Deer" - Need Advice!!-user213531_pic7472_1382415137.jpg  
Old 10-22-2013, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

A whats the dominant wind direction for that area in the morning and the evening? That can tell you a lot too.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:09 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by deernutz
I would try different spots. I marked another spot they may be bedding. Also where I might put some other stands. I see theres some houses that border the farmers field. I'm assuming it's a cut crop field? I would ask someone who lives there. Hey do you see deer in that field and when. Can't hurt and sure would help you out greatly.
Deernutz, I've not really scouted that field. I think they just keep it bush-hogged. I'm not sure what's been going on there. Those fields that I marked where I think they're bedding is VERY thick. It's not been bush-hogged in a couple years. It seems all of the movement comes from that direction. The dominate wind direction is West-East. I set my stand on the downwind side of those White Oaks, with the wind blowing in my face. Yesterday AM I had 3 does walk right under my stand. And yesterday PM had 4 does come in, and walk directly underneath as well. I think I'll take my climber, and get on that field where you marked. Thanks!

Last edited by JasonL; 10-22-2013 at 08:13 AM.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

Go in with a climbing stand where you got the pics of the bucks in the day. Enter in the dark of night away from the field and catch them coming to bed. That's an easy one.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ya know I wonder if the deer arent bedding where your stand is? Do you bump deer around when u go into your stand?
Old 10-22-2013, 09:47 AM
Fork Horn

If you are seeing that many does the bucks might not be moving much just because why move if the does are everywhere. Is it a possibility to put a cam up on that tree line between the 2 fields. Might be able to catch them moving in between the 2 big area of woods. I always had good luck even if the wood line is only a couple of yards wide.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:47 AM
Spike

@Deernutz: No, I've never seen anything on my way to or from my stand. I'm pretty certain they're bedding down in those fields shown on my aerial map. They always come in and go back in the same direction.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:49 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by c-rad
If you are seeing that many does the bucks might not be moving much just because why move if the does are everywhere. Is it a possibility to put a cam up on that tree line between the 2 fields. Might be able to catch them moving in between the 2 big area of woods. I always had good luck even if the wood line is only a couple of yards wide.
That's a good idea. There is definitely a good supply of does. I would say that doe to buck ratio is 8:1.