Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What an evening!

Old 10-17-2013, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What an evening!

This evening I began hunting an area I usually gun hunt. I already killed deer in my main area so I am branching out to my secondary locations. The weather was unusual, and the wind was coming from the north. I have no stand set up and am kind of still hunting with my crossbow and looking for location to set up a tree stand.

I move through my preferred area and see no sign so I get a bright idea. Playing the wind in my favor I walk along a tree line next to a creek opposite of field of cut corn on the other end of the property. Being close to rural homes and a county road I sneak ahead and cross the creek and sneak up to the cut corn field. I crawl across an adjacent bean field and sit down on the edge of the woods completely opposite of where I would have been if I would have crossed the ford near my parking spot.

I was planning on entering the area without the deer being able to smell, hear, or see me in an area where I never seen deer before bit suspected they were. I was right because I seen 8 deer in that field this evening behaving very relaxed, just playing around in the cut corn like a game of tag. The deer were 200 to 300 yards
away.

I was blowing my grunt at them occasionally and that might explain what happened when I tried leaving the area. It was too dark to re cross the creek without getting drenched so I walk out along the field I was watching. I figured the deer would enter the woods or ignore me but to my surprise they walked up withing a hundreds yards of me as I was trying to sneak out unnoticed. I sat down in the field and watched as they stood there watching me unspooked. Then I heard grunts. Minutes later it turned to snorts. A minute later they walked off into the dark like nothing happened.

I have never seen deer be so relaxed around me during hunting season yet I have never spent so much effort sneaking in to an area. It was as exiting as bagging a deer!