Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

how often

Old 09-29-2003, 10:38 AM

Default how often

Will a buck re-visit his rub or scrape.........what ever its called where he paws at the ground. I found one and was wondering if I would be wasting my time setting a stand up about 50-100 yards from it????
Old 09-29-2003, 10:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: how often

First let me welcome you to the board! Second the answer to your question is yes, however sometimes they only visit at night, however as the rut starts to heat up bucks may check scrapes at any time.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

The answer to your question is yes. Try to figure out which way the wind blows most of the time. Set your stand down wind of the scrape. The reason for this is that bucks will sometimes wind check their scrapes. They will circle down wind to see if they can smell if a doe has visited the scape before coming on in. If you set up right on the scrape you may never see the buck if he circles downwind. Try this technique and hopefully it will work for ya, let me know how it goes.[8D]
Old 09-29-2003, 01:13 PM

Hi,
Definitely set your stand up downwind and at least 40-50 yards from the scrape. You may catch him circling in from the downwind side. During the rut, sometimes adding buck scent to the scrape will make him come in during the day. If it' s a mature buck, he will see the presence of another buck on his scrape as a challenge and may come in to answer it in the daylight.
Good Luck this season!
Mark
http://www.buckhuntersecrets.com
Old 09-29-2003, 01:50 PM

Sounds good but the only problem is the rut is about 1 month away.
Old 09-29-2003, 02:38 PM

If you have found a scrape (a buck ' scrapes' the ground and ' rubs' the trees), then I agree with BuckSecrets about putting down some buck scent, preferably from the tarsal gland. The scrape means that the bucks are marking off their territory in anticipation of the rut, which you point out may be a month away. At any rate, the tarsal scent will tell your buck that there is competition, and he may start checking the area during the day.

Then, in a month or so when the actual rut begins, switch to an estrous doe scent lure. This will make the buck forget about the competition, and start looking for the lucky lady. MDJ
Old 09-30-2003, 06:28 AM

what do I look for when buying this tarsle glad at the store?
Old 09-30-2003, 11:06 PM

The two tarsal gland scents that I am familiar with are ' Charge II' by Buck Stop and ' Tarsal Gland' by Code Blue. I think Tink' s makes one, too, but I don' t know the name. I' m not sure if you can find them at a Wal-Mart, but I' ve seen them at the bigger outdoor stores like Bass Pro Shop Outdoor World.

My father-in-law and hunting buddy uses the Charge II and has lots of venison in the freezer and racks on the wall. Last year I used Code Blue' s Tarsal Gland, and it helped me bag two bucks and two does.

Old 10-01-2003, 03:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Welcome to the board,ditto on what the others said