Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Cough Drops While Hunting

Old 10-10-2013, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cough Drops While Hunting

Sometimes we come down with a cold during hunting season. We definitely don't want to be coughing and making noise on stand. On the other hand, we also don't want to be puffing a trail of mentholyptus scent throughout the woods.

Have you guys seen the new line of hunting scented cough drops? I've seen and tried the doe-in-heat and fox urine flavors myself. Takes a little getting used to. I think it's not really supposed to taste good as much as it is a cover scent.

What do you guys think?
Old 10-10-2013, 12:45 PM
Typical Buck

love the taste of deer pee
Old 10-10-2013, 01:18 PM
Typical Buck

I like the buck tarsal gland flavor. When I come home from hunting the woman takes one sniff of my breath, assumes I'm in full rut, and assumes the position. Doesn't even make me take a shower first. It's great.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

Is this for real?
Old 10-10-2013, 02:52 PM
Typical Buck

WHAT!! Really, now I've heard it all.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:35 PM
Fork Horn

A cheaper method is just chewing on buck testicles. After you harvest your buck just same them in the freezer for next season. They do a really good job and stopping my coughing.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:57 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by OhioNovice
A cheaper method is just chewing on buck testicles. After you harvest your buck just same them in the freezer for next season. They do a really good job and stopping my coughing.
So you have sucked on a set of balls before? this is what I am reading, no?
Old 10-10-2013, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's not for everyone. But, for mature bucks, you gotta be serious about scent control.

Chewing on buck testicles might stop the coughing, but the gagging might disturb the woods.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Last firearm season in S. IL my 11 yo son and i were sitting in a 2 man ground blind and coughing quite a bit, We were out before first light. Shortly after we saw a doe thru the overgrown old fence line that now has trees. She was heading south away from us in the next harvested bean field. We watched her until we lost her.We were coughing pretty good - both of us. I think too much campfire the night before.

Anyway after the doe was gone I told my son I thought it better to not cough and announce ourselves so much and go ahead with some cough drops.

10 minutes later a nice doe came out in front of us maybe 80 yards which was perfect for a boys first deer hunt. She looked spooked and hesitant to cross our bean field (80 yards wide). So she tucked back in the fenceline brush and trees unseen to us. A few minutes later she popped out 15 yards or so closer acting the same way. Dropping her head, twitching around and again looking at our location. So again she went back in. 5 minutes later she is out again even closer acting the same but this time she goes out 20-30 yards and then turns back yo the fenceline. She stops short of the brush and my son drops her with his first deer shot thru the heart. Bingo! She drops and makes 1 attempt to rise and she's done. Nice doe. He says, "How ya like them apples!" (I don't think the deer heard it but I will never forget him saying those words!)

Within a minute the same fenceline/tree/brush erupt with a crash and a big ol 10pt pops out asking, "What'd you do to my date?!?!" He is looking at us and just steps sideways facing north.

I am now sitting next to the greatest deer hunter on the face of the earth and he tells me (because what do I know), "Shoot him Dad!"

BANG! I drill him. He blasts off like a rocket only to crash into a deep washed out dry creek line in the fenceline maybe 30-40 yards north.

Success!

My son says next time we go out we have to remember to bring the cough drops. LOL!

I'll post up the pics later.

I just think maybe the wind might have been a bit in our favor, the doe was definately being pushed and the buck was stupid horny.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:27 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
Chewing on buck testicles might stop the coughing, but the gagging might disturb the woods.
I always boil mine first but don't over cook them or they start to shrivel up and get hard.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.