Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How Old for Kid's First Gut Job >

How Old for Kid's First Gut Job

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How Old for Kid's First Gut Job

Old 10-10-2013, 06:04 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Night Crawler
but you will put a weapon in their hands.

Teach em just like you taught them to shoot.
Actually, you have a point.. sort of.. Lots of variables here but..

I wouldn't put a handgun in the child's hands as it is very easy to shoot yourself with a handgun.

But a non-auto rifle or a bow? Much more difficult. Additionally, a rifle or a bow is a single event... Well, at least the rifle is anyhow. Point and Click for the most part and once its discharged, its no longer a threat. Obviously with a bow you have to handle a sharp broad-head, load it, pull it back, etc etc..

Gutting a large animal requires dozens of swipes with a knife. Much more likely to get injured.

But I'm kind of comparing apples to oranges in a sense because the consequences of a mistake with a gun and a mistake with a knife are not scaled to each other.

This is a discussion that could turn into a lengthy debate so I'll digress.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:07 AM
Spike

Started hunting around 10-11. My old man gutted my first one for me, but told me "Pay attention, this is the only time I'll do this for you". 2 weeks later i shot my second one. he walked me through how to do it as I gutted her. Have done everyone of my one since. If he can shoot it, he can gut it!
Old 10-10-2013, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe I will have him gut MY next deer.

I remember one year, he was around 4yo, and I dragged a deer out to the logging road where we could get the truck. He cried for about 30 minutes because he wanted to be part of the drag.

He did drag this buck most of the way. By himself. I was looking for the logging road and the ATV. When I found it and drove up to where we would come out, he was already almost there. He's a pack mule
Old 10-10-2013, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mine will gut her first deer and I will help. If she cuts herself she will be more careful nest time I reckon. She started helping me process at 3.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

If she cuts herself she will be more careful nest time I reckon.
Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I'd hate to have deer fluids get into my kid's open wound. All this talk of EHD, CWD, etc....
Old 10-10-2013, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I'd hate to have deer fluids get into my kid's open wound. All this talk of EHD, CWD, etc....

I hear ya, She scares me to death regularly but you gotta let em grow and learn.(If I wait until I'm not scared she will be 35)

Has there ever been a case of EHD or CWD in humans? Seems like kids do stuff that is more dangerous and less necessary pretty regularly.

I'd say if cwd and ehd is going to stop me from letting her gyt a deer then lime disease ought to just stop me from having her in the woods at all.

It all scares me but for me the gun is the biggest hurdle.

Last edited by rockport; 10-10-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Most sportsman start their kids off by having them gut their own fish, squirrels, rabbits, birds, etc.,,,,,,,,,,

By the time they put their first deer on the ground they already know it's their job to do !

By all means, give them a helping hand !!!
Old 10-10-2013, 10:00 AM
Typical Buck

Yes..... Life's lessons.
When my step son was 18 he bought himself a 300 Win Mag. First day at the range with it he forgot my warning (I wasn't there) and got the nastiest scope kiss I ever saw. I forget how many stitches it took. Nothing like pain to teach a lasting lesson.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

All play and no work is a hard habit to break.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Has there ever been a case of EHD or CWD in humans? Seems like kids do stuff that is more dangerous and less necessary pretty regularly.

I'd say if cwd and ehd is going to stop me from letting her gyt a deer then lime disease ought to just stop me from having her in the woods at all.
You are completely correct. Then, there's the half of it that says I can do it much faster and I just want to get it over with.

It was dark when we covered his buck this year so I just did it. Next one he shoots in the daylight, it's on him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.