Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

KENTUCKY Deer Hunting

Old 10-08-2013, 06:44 AM
Spike

Default KENTUCKY Deer Hunting

I am in the process of planning a do it yourself hunt in Kentucky for 2014. I have been doing a lot of research and finding some good information about public land but I wanted to put something on here to help narrow down my search costs and scouting trips because I am on a tight budget do to purchasing a house. So my question basically is what are some ‘Hot Spot” public land areas or areas known for a fair population of deer and mature bucks? I realize were dealing with public land and I don’t mind hiking in our accessing by boat to get away from the pressure. I am just looking for any suggestions for a starting point! Any help would be great!! Thanks and have a great season this year, shoot straight!!
Old 10-08-2013, 06:53 AM
Spike

what park of the state are you wanting to hunt, rifle or bow
Old 10-08-2013, 07:30 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by kelton smith
It doesn’t really matter what part of the state. I live in Pennsylvania so the closer to Pa the better but if there is a considerable difference in the hunting on the western part of Kentucky I don’t mind traveling at all. Ultimately I am looking to put myself in the best place to be to harvest a mature buck on public land in KY. Distance is my last concern because once I’m there I will be there for 7 days. Scouting trips would be nice if it was closer but not priority.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:32 AM
Spike

Most likely bow hunting. The only way I would return for gun is if I had vacation left and a tag for Kentucky still in my pocket.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

I have been talking to my buddy about a DIY trip to Kentucky. We would be going in archery season also. Pm me, we can share some ideas
Old 10-08-2013, 10:30 AM
Spike

McCraken ballard and graves county have some rly good wma's for bow hunting
west ky wildlife area ballard county refuge and clarksriver wma all within 25 miles of paducah ky
Old 10-08-2013, 10:57 AM
Spike

McCraken ballard and graves county have some rly good wma's for bow hunting
west ky wildlife area ballard county refuge and clarksriver wma all within 25 miles of paducah ky
Thanks a lot for the info!
Old 10-09-2013, 10:57 AM
Fork Horn

I do alot of public land DOI turkey hunting in kentucky plenty of deer there as well.