Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What happened here?

Old 10-06-2013, 06:16 PM
Spike

Default What happened here?

A little background before I get into my problem. My dad just purchased 40 acres of land that was clear cut this summer. A small creek runs in the middle of the 40 acres. The creek is in a valley and I decided to hunt on the back 20 acres. The clear cut joins a pine thicket. I picked out a spot on the top of the hill right on the land line. I poured out 50 lbs of corn and got tons and tons of pictures. I will post some of the bucks I was getting. Then I purchased a 30 gallon Moultrie tripod feeder and a new M-880 camera and placed them maybe 25 yards away from the other camera. The feeder has been out for 3 weeks and I haven't seen a deer on either camera. I thought it might be the sound of the feeder running, so I turned it down to run twice a day for 3 secs each time. What else could it be?

Old 10-06-2013, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

they aren't used to the sound...you could wait or you could keep it the same...may take a little while if they aren't used to lots of "human" sounds. or you could try gravity feeders.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:00 PM
Typical Buck

Might just be they are on a different food source right now (acorns) and they are temporarily not interested in your corn.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:33 AM
Fork Horn

The velvet came off their horns buddy thats what happened. You will get pics all summer long of bucks eating at corn piles but as soon as they go hard horned they become a totally different creature. You may still get some pics at night time here and there but those pics of big bucks in the middle of the day are gone until Spring or next Summer. Good luck.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:38 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Or your neighbor has a corn pile that offers a bit more cover.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:31 AM
Fork Horn

2 things.

you disturbed a natural environment right when deer to into Mr. Hyde from Dr. Jackle

setting up new spot like that is best done in the spring, they don't understand that thing you put out is a food source and they won't get close enough to find out.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Give it time for them to get used to it.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:10 AM
Spike

I do know that these deer aren't use to human noises. As far as I know, no one has ever hunted on this 40 acres. And I'm not sure about the land that joins it. Would yall turn it off and just see if they come around to eat the corn on the ground or keep letting it run? Our gun season comes in at the end of next month and we can't hunt over bait, so It only has about 2 full months of running left.