Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Big woods novice with questions >

Big woods novice with questions

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Big woods novice with questions

Old 09-28-2003, 09:34 PM
Spike

Default Big woods novice with questions

OK I' ve been in the woods and been lucky killing small bucks for about 20 years with arrows, patched balls and slugs. 100% Farmland and probably 90% within a mile or two of the same farm. Now I' ve joined in on a lease of 3,300 acres in the middle of what I' d guess to be a few hundred thousand acres in upstate NY. I really don' t have much of a clue where to start. Areas of the land is swampy and there are a few creeks and ponds. The topography overall is pretty flat. I' m guessing I should focus around the edges of the swamps/water. Do you swamp hunters wear waders and venture in or are you skirting around the edges? Any comments would be appreciated.
Old 09-28-2003, 09:58 PM

Default RE: Big woods novice with questions

Hi Forkhorn! I hunt in northern Maine where the woods are big and the swamps are thick. Unless I am tracking a big buck and he takes me through a swamp, I generally prefer to hunt the edges. Sometimes I will go right into the thick stuff and do some stillhunting, though. It all depends on the conditions and how the deer are moving. One technique that has worked well for me is setting up close to a bedding area, right on the edge of the thick cover, and do some calling to lure a buck out. Since you won' t know exactly where the deer are bedding unless you get to scout it first, setting up in various places along the edge of the swamp/thicket and calling might work well. Then you can still-hunt in between setups and scout for sign as you go. Look over aerial photos of the area and look for any " soft" edges that may funnel deer movement as well as any pieces of high ground within the swamp that could be likely bedding areas. These are good places to start. Once you learn the general patterns and the hotspots of the local deer, then you can refine your strategy.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:57 AM

Hi,
I' ve hunted the Catskills for 20+ years and have hunted the Adirondacks (Adirondacks are much thicker and swampier, I' m assuming that' s near where you are going). Up there the deer herd is much more sparse and spread out, with fewer deer per square mile, so hunting in the right spot is crucial. But the bucks that are there are usually on the large side!

I recommend taking a GPS unit and a two way radio because the country is so thick, and the need to skirt swamps and areas of blowdowns makes it easy to get turned around.

You will most likely be hunting in snow since it starts early there, so the edges of swamps, lakes, or streams where there is young woody browse above the snow is a good place to start. Check an aerial map for small circles or islands in the middle of swamps, the deer there like to hang out on these thick islands because of the cover and safety. If you can' t get in a stand close enough to scope the island, then look for exit routes and set up there. Don' t try wading out because the mud and silt may be very deep and it' s a big area up there to get help.

Your best bet is to ignore anywhere (snow will help for this) where there in not alot of deer sign/ runs with fresh trails, the chances of you taking a deer in those places is slim since there' s so much area for the deer to be in.
Hope this helps, Good Luck!
Mark
http://www.buckhuntersecrets.com
Old 09-29-2003, 08:48 AM
Spike

Thank you both for the sensible advice. I must admit that having never been in a big woods I' m a bit intimidated by the thought. I did buy and learn to use a GPS and I think I' ll go in on one of those tin foil " space blankets" in case I need to spend the night somewhere. The goal this year is to learn as much as I can. If I see a deer I' ll be happy, if I kill a buck I' ll be surprised.

By the way, it' s the Tug Hill Region near Turin, NY. And my first hunt will be the opening of Muzzle which is 10/11. I' ve been up and down the logging roads, but this will be my first experience off the beaten trail.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:36 AM

Hi again,

Also wanted to let you know that you may want to use deer scents/lures to up your chances. Make sure to buy something at a shop once you get there and see what kind of scents are native to the area (don' t use apple scent when there are no apples for miles).

A space blanket may be good insurance, but don' t hunker down unless you have no other choice. At least a hunter or two die of exposure every year in the Catskills and Adirondacks from becoming lost and being forced to spend the night. I' ve used space blankets before and they only seem to get warm for me if used under another thicker blanket or sleeping bag. Temps. up there get well below zero at night, a fire may not even save you. Plan on getting out.

Watch the weather and if there is a chance of significant snow, stay close to your camp/vehicle and head back if it starts coming down hard. Whiteouts and blizzards are common and you may not be able to get a satelite fix with your GPS under these conditions. Not to get you worried though! Just treat the deep woods as if you only had you to count on, and use caution and common sense. Almost all hunters who I' ve heard of getting into trouble did something they shouldn' t have, like go in when there was a storm coming without adequate clothing and then try to stay instead of getting out, or stand on the very edge of a ledge or rock and slip off, breaking a leg.

Just make sure you have fresh batteries in your GPS, set a waypoint at your vehicle/camp, turn it off and put it in your pocket, and then goto the saved waypoint to get you back when you want to leave. Easier than setting routes and saves battery power. Make sure to set another point if you go up a hill face or through blowdowns and only find one path to do it. That way you can quickly get back to the opening without searching for it.

By the way, pay attention to the deer traffic on the logging roads since you said there are some. Deer take the path of least resistance and will travel any open path if the cover is extremely thick, especially big bucks since they have trouble navigating through the almost impenetrable cover with their wide racks.

And if all else fails, try some fishing for brown trout up there under those deep undercut streambanks, there are some lunkers and they spawn late October to November, but I' m not sure the season is open up there then (should be)!

Best Regards,
Mark
Old 09-29-2003, 11:14 AM

I have to respectfully disagree somewhat with one point you made BuckSecrets. While it is always best to make it out of the woods by dark (a GPS should make it quite easy), if for some reason you should find yourself out there when darkness falls, by all means stay put and make a fire. It' s best to have a flashlight with you, as well as a couple of (brand new) lighters, and matches in a waterproof case or a magnesium firestarter. Carry energy bars, trail mix, jerky, or similar foods to keep you fueled, as well as water. Getting dehydrated can make matters much worse. If it is about to get dark and you are still way out in the woods, find shelter from the elements and gather a good supply of firewood and get a fire started. The space blanket will help to conserve body heat, but you also want to stay awake and moving around a bit. Don' t lay down on the cold ground, gather some evergreen boughs to sit on and stay close to the fire. Many people have become hopelessly lost by running aimlessly around in the pitch black woods at night. Don' t let fear and paranoia get the best of you, there' s nothing different about the woods at night except you can' t see as well. Daylight will come soon enough if you keep a level head.

You likely won' t find youself in this situation, and this is not meant to scare you at all - it' s just best to be prepared for any situation when you are in the big woods.
Old 09-29-2003, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

You just reminded me of the couple of times I was lost in the big woods. Scared the crap out of me. You bet I have a GPS these days. Never had to spend the night but came pretty close once. It was after dark but snow and moon made visibility a little better. I saw some wires over the horizon and headed for them. Ended up being on the highway several miles further north than I expected. I got home late that night. Man was I tired.

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 09-29-2003, 11:46 AM
Spike

With the lay of the land I doubt I could get hopelessly lost. Lost maybe, but not hopeless. There is a road that runs dead east/west that divides the property. So if I can keep north and south straight...As BS mentioned, planning on help from nobody is the way to go. There' s a little anxiety, but I' m pretty fired up for it.
Old 09-29-2003, 12:05 PM

In that case you should have no problems. A good compass is all you' ll need to stay oriented. A lot of people swear by GPS these days, and they are in fact good tools, but I tend to stay away from too much technology when I' m in the woods - just a personal preference. In fact I usually carry a compass but never use it, I prefer using my " natural compass" . Don' t do as I do, I might get myself in trouble someday because of it!

Have fun on your hunt, it should be a memorable experience!
Old 09-29-2003, 01:01 PM

Hi Split-Hoof,
Actually that' s what I meant when I said unless you have no other choice. By all means I would never try and keep going in the dark, especially in thick timber. But with a flashlight and a backlit GPS, I' d try to make it out if it wasn' t far(less than a mile or so), rather than brave a subzero night, that can be life threatening with the best of survival skills. But with planning, you should never be too far in at nightfall. Knowing when dark came at that time of year, I would be hunting my way back well within time. I guess that' s what I meant by use common sense, don' t decide to start out of the woods too late, that' s bad woodsmanship and can get you killed in remote areas.
Good Luck!
Mark

Quick Reply: Big woods novice with questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.