Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I am so mad at myself

Old 10-01-2013, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default I am so mad at myself

been shooting 150gr of 777 with TC 250gr sabots for nearly 10 years outa my TC Encore 209x50. Well this year I went and changed to 100gr 777, shot 4 @ 100 and 4 @ 200yds. groups were much better. Now I have never missed a deer with this with over 30 kills. Sat. I took the knee out of a doe @ 145yds, why? Because I did not track my trajectory from 100 to 200yds. Back tot he drawing board and glad it wasnt a nice buck. Reason for such business is I have some neck issues and it really hurts at times with that much kaboom. Any suggestions?
Old 10-02-2013, 02:55 AM
Fork Horn

Are you using the BDC reticle scope or are you just familiar enough with your equipment that you know where to hold at certain distances? When I bought mine I believe it was designed for the Omega or a lower grade model than the Encore. I still use it on my Encore and it has worked flawlessly. They may have since come out with a newer version that is just for the Encore or multiple models. Anyways this is the scope I use on mine and its absolutley dead on out to 200yds. I use the BDC and shoot 150gr in mine as well but I am honestly not sure if the scope works the sameway for 100gr, Maybe it makes no difference to the amount of powder as long as you sight it in according to the directions. I do know that you have reticles for in between yardages and this may help you out with your problem. That would be my suggestion if your not already shooting one but again Im not sure if you have to shoot 150gr with it or not. Not a whole lot of info I know but if your not using that scope I would definitely give it a try. Good luck and let us know later on if you get things straightened out.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:08 AM
Fork Horn

Nah, no BDC scope just a 3x9 vxii. I shoot enough to know my trajectory is and hold overs. I just dropped the ball man. I made a change and did not thoroughly exercise all conditions. I most likely will get a BDC scope in the near future.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

No need for 150gr charges...Only suggestion, shoot more so you know your rifle better...
Old 10-02-2013, 08:22 AM
Fork Horn

So you made a bad shot.
The solution - more range time.
I have never and never will shoot a 150 load through my Encore. No need.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you shot at 100 and 200, I don't think you can blame a miss (by say a foot?) at 145 yds on not knowing the exact trajectory.

With "normal" ML bullets and 100 gr powder charge, and assuming your gun is zeroed at 100, the bullet would not be more than 3-4" low at 145.

For piece of mind, go ahead and shoot some at 150, but you can be assured that the drop between 100 and 145 will be about a third of the drop you see between 100 and 200.

We all miss, now and then.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think you dropped the ball. you r experienced with your hardware.

Every now and then something can happen that puts the round somewhere other than where you wanted it to go.

I say just relax and move forward.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

A suggestion ... and I agree, no need for 150 gr, charges. A charge of 100 gr, is plenty.

Try working up loads using loose powder. I am getting much more consistent elevations and tighter groups from a more customized powder charge just over 100 gr. than i was getting with either 100 gr. or 150 gr. of 50 gr. pellets. Not as convenient but not so difficult to manage in the field.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:34 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Mojotex
A suggestion ... and I agree, no need for 150 gr, charges. A charge of 100 gr, is plenty.

Try working up loads using loose powder. I am getting much more consistent elevations and tighter groups from a more customized powder charge just over 100 gr. than i was getting with either 100 gr. or 150 gr. of 50 gr. pellets. Not as convenient but not so difficult to manage in the field.
I was actually going to try this as my next venture. I just got back into reloading after about 15 yrs break...this has gotten my mind to nailing down the best combo for my gun.