Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Mosquitos and deer movement

Old 09-29-2013, 05:34 PM
Spike

Default Mosquitos and deer movement

I have a 100 acre wood to hunt. It is completely surrounded by crop fields. Most of this is unharvested soybeans. Right now the woods are full of some of the worst mosquito hoards Ive had the misfortune to deal with. My question is, will this cause the deer to spend their days in the fields and avoid the woods for the most part? There sure doesn't seem to be much in there and I can hardly blame them. I have a stand in the woods and on the field edge. Normally Id expect the deer to come into the field from woods early morning and out to field afternoon and I'd avoid wind coming from the field to woods (Im hunting an entry/exit trail). But as bad as bugs are Im wondering if I should be concentrating on the field itself. What does everyone think?

Thanks

Rich
Old 09-30-2013, 01:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Around here they'll move into corn fields when the bugs are bad. Very few fresh tracks in the woods, lots in the fields.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hmm not sure, the bugs are always bad around here this year seems worse then previous with the warmer winters we have had last 2 years in a row. But the deer are starting to move more with the cooler weather but still primarily nocturnal.