Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

checking trail cams

Old 09-29-2013, 06:11 PM
Spike

Default checking trail cams

Will it hurt to drive my four wheeler right up to my trail cam?
Old 09-29-2013, 07:51 PM
Fork Horn

If the four wheeler isn't typically driven in the area, I'd say don't do it. If the camera is along a two track road, and typically has four wheeler traffic, you aren't changing anything from what the deer are used to. Basically don't change anything. Don't disrupt the way the woods typically are.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by NebBuckHunter View Post
If the four wheeler isn't typically driven in the area, I'd say don't do it. If the camera is along a two track road, and typically has four wheeler traffic, you aren't changing anything from what the deer are used to. Basically don't change anything. Don't disrupt the way the woods typically are.
exactly...if they aren't driven there much walk at least from the roadway to your camera...
Old 09-30-2013, 12:33 AM
Fork Horn

I say its better to ride the 4 wheeler, less human scent in the woods. Deer dont mind vehicles as much as they do humans for some reason.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:24 PM
Spike

i have been checking them on four wheeler lately but i think when the rut starts coming in i will start walking
Old 09-30-2013, 06:23 PM
Fork Horn

you are better off running the quad to it. Deer are spooked more by sneaky,smelly humans than atv's,tractors and trucks. It's common sense...don't want to spook a deer to the neighbor's property don't go sneaking around.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:13 AM
Spike

yep we always use four wheelers to check cameras (almost up to them) we got minor traffic in our woods through out the year doesn't hurt the deer you should be good.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:15 AM
Spike

Alright i think i will keep checking them on my wheeler then. I think some does have already gotten use to the sound of it because they dont spook easy now!