Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Anyone Use Decoys?

Old 09-25-2013, 07:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default Anyone Use Decoys?

Does anyone use decoys? Had any success? I was looking at a couple tonite -- too expensive to buy on a whim just to try out.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:05 PM
Spike

I haven't, but I'm also interested in hearing from anyone who does. I've seen Stan Potts use them several times on his show and he swears by them.

I do know I wouldn't care much for carrying the thing back and forth to the stand!
Old 09-25-2013, 09:51 PM
Typical Buck

I use about 2 dozen mallards with another dozen or so pintails in a group off to one side or another.

Killer setup on small to medium potholes.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:59 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks, Bullcamp, lol. Couple years ago, I had a deer come in to check out a turkey decoy during the spring season.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

What type of decoys are you speaking of? I would think that this is a deer forum you would be speaking of deer decoys, correct? And if so, yes, I have used deer decoys several time with various mixed results.
Very first time of using a deer decoy I used a ready alert doe decoy with FRESH doe in heat urine on a drag rag. Put out just before sunrise. Was in stand less than a hour when a 139" 10pt came across the fields chasing a real doe. Saw the deke, slammed on the brakes when he hit the drag line, came straight to the deke. Left the real thing for a fake. Cost him dearly.
Have taken several deer over the dekes. I call them jack and jane. I have a small basket rack 6 pt I use when the rut is on and on the ready/alert position decoy. I have used the other, a feeding position, and have come to find that without the antlers, EVERY doe that sees it, does nothing but blow, stomp and snort at it. I use them more as a buck than a doe. I have taken the legs off the ready deer and set it flat on the ground and put the antlers on the grazing deke facing it with great results!!! Had a REALLY nice 14ptr 2 years ago just plum knock jack for a loop trying to take the doe until he made contact. And yes, I as well use waterfowl decoys and turkey also.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:38 PM
Fork Horn

I have used a bedded doe decoy about a dozen times. I have had it work perfect and shot a nice 150 class 11pt.Usually smaller bucks will come and check it out. The big old doe's hate the thing and stay clear and sometimes stomp and blow at it. they now that deer don't belong. Im trying a buck decoy this year but only at prime time
Old 09-26-2013, 01:13 PM
Typical Buck

We were kidding about the bird dekes (at least I was ). Thanks for the replies, all. So, from what I'm reading, it sounds like even a doe decoy is more a tool for the rut and that it will bring in bucks but probably not does?
Old 09-26-2013, 02:06 PM
Spike

I use them a couple times of year around rut. I've used 1 doe, buck and doe, and just 1 buck. I actually killed my first buck With a bow using a buck decoy. Shot over it's back at 25 , It ran about 50 yards across the field , I grunted a couple times And it came back ready to kick the decoys butt. Killed em at 30. Does seem very skittish around them. But bucks like to check them out.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:10 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
I use about 2 dozen mallards with another dozen or so pintails in a group off to one side or another.

Killer setup on small to medium potholes.

Same here, works great.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use the doe decoy during the rut,I have used it during bow season and with a true talker convinced a doe fawn how real it was and she bedded down next to it.LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.