Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New to this

Old 09-17-2013, 06:49 PM
Spike

Default New to this

I'm new to deer hunting. This will be my first year. I am an adult so I will be able to shoot anything. My question- I'm in the market for a rifle and not sure what to purchase. I know that different people like different things but I need a good all around rifle. I have a few places to go that includes hills, valleys,fields and large pastures. I'm a city boy so I need help.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:11 PM
Typical Buck

What's your budget? Strictly a deer gun? I'm sure you'll get more opinions than you will know what to do with in no time, lol.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

30-06

opinion
Old 09-18-2013, 02:27 AM
Spike

Right now it will be just a deer rifle. I don't want to drop a lot of money on something I do not know if I will enjoy. I also know rifles are not cheap. I will say no more than $600.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

$600 including optics or rifle alone?

If you went with something that has iron sights, you wouldn't have to spend any money on a scope, but then your shots are limited more by your ability and your effective range will be significantly less than if you had a scope, assuming you're not an experienced marksman.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:13 AM
Typical Buck

If you have the option go to a couple differant gun shops and tell them what your looking for and you price range. You should be able to stay well within your range even with a decent scope. Smaller shops should have your best information as opposed to larger chain stores that happen to sell guns (For the most part)
Old 09-18-2013, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto 30.06 Spr. Very good all around 30 cal. cartridge for hunting. Every maker of center fire hunting ammo that I know of offers several options for the 30.06 Spr.

Take a look at the Ruger American rifle. I have seen these selling in the $300 range. But do not leave out the "good" used rifle option. You can often find a good buy on used gear. If you are new to buying center fire rifles, take a friend that has experience ... especially if buying used.

If you need (or just want) a scope, with a $600 or so budget, you will not have much left for glass after buying the rifle .... but in the $250-$300 range you can definitley find a decent scope. Look at Vortex, Leupold and Bushnell scopes in this price range. Some will disagree with me on this ... but stay away from Simmons, Tasco, and BSA. I and several of my buds have had poor experiences with scopes carrying these brand names. If you can swing it, the Ziees Conquest is a very good value, but it is going to push $450-$500. A 3-9x40mm should suffice.

Once you get the rifle-scope combo, you'll need to head to a range with a few different factory loads and determine which groups the best. LOts ofinfo on the web of how to sight in a rifle. I suggest trying out ammo with a bullet weight of from 150 gr. to 180 gr.

Good luck and welcome to the madness that is deer hunting !
Old 09-18-2013, 10:25 AM
Typical Buck

30-06 and .308 are both good, versatile, widely available, time tested rounds -- do some reading on both and decide what you like better. Ruger American is definitely one to consider. You also might want to look at the Savage 11/111 line, the Weatherby Vanguard, and others (I narrowed down to those 3 last summer and ended up with a Savage, which I'd recommend). Marlin also makes a reasonable series of rifles. Read up on them, then go to a gun store and see how they feel in your hands. Any of these will leave you around $200 for a scope. Stick to a basic scope, no frills or bells and whistles like illumination of a/o. The Vortex Diamondback line runs under $200, as does the Nikon Prostaff. Leupold recently bought Redfield, and they make a few scopes in that range as well. I pretty much agree with Mojo's list of scopes to stay away from, though I'd add low-end Bushnell to it.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:49 AM
Typical Buck

Ruger American 30-06 with a Nikon Prostaff or Redfield 3x9x40. That's QUALITY in your pricerange and will kill anything inside of 500yds from mice to moose!
Old 09-18-2013, 11:08 AM
Spike

I started out with a savage .270 combo package that I actually got at walmart back in the day. Been using it for about 13 years now and love it. I wouldnt buy it from walmart but they may still sell a combo scope/gun package.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.