Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Storing muzzleloader loaded in gun safe? >

Storing muzzleloader loaded in gun safe?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Storing muzzleloader loaded in gun safe?

Old 09-17-2013, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
I know this, anyone who hunts with a muzzleloader with a clean barrel is a fool due to POI changes on the second shot and less than stellar accuracy on the first. I've tested it for 2 many years with too many different firearms.
RR
This is getting off track. My point was more or less that it is NOT unsafe to store your ML with bullet and powder. With respect to your current point, it depends on the gun. My gun shoots 1" high and left at 100 yards with a clean barrel vs a fouled barrel. I can live with that in a hunting situation, so I hunt with a clean barrel or "semi-fouled" with primer residue only. I cannot very well run to the range to fire a round off just before I go hunting to foul my barrel. If you can just step on your porch to do so, more power to ya. I dropped a deer with a heart/lung hit at 140 yards on clean barrel. I guess my gun rocks!
Old 09-17-2013, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always store it.....if it is unfired, yet "loaded" with powder and bullet....for as long as I need to.......again, just make sure the primer is removed......I always put a small strip of duck tape over the end of the barrel to remind me that the gun is ready for action....to avoid brainfart/double-loading
Old 09-18-2013, 01:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by grinder67
POI doesnt change if sighted in with a clean cold bore. If barrel is clean and dry and primer is removed it is safe to store for several weeks.
the 2nd shot does unless you clean between shots.
RR
Old 09-18-2013, 03:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Accepted muzzleloader as muzzleloader

And never brought one home from the woods loaded to fire.

And if you didn't clean the muzzle out with "moosemilk" that day, it was still loaded. Cleaning a flintlock rifle was done as surely as firing it.

And my thirty plus year old flintlock is ready to fire this year, without any primer. I heard there is a shortage of the latter. It doesn't take cartridges either. The rifle gets loaded in the woods. And the "moosemilk" is ready.

And I don't listen to newbies on my thirty year old plus muzzleloader.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:05 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
the 2nd shot does unless you clean between shots.
RR
One shot one kill! And I do carry wet and dry patches to swab the the barrel if needed but never has been an issue.
And I do leave my gun loaded the whole season unless I get caught in rainy weather. Perfectly safe as long as the primer is removed