Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Storing muzzleloader loaded in gun safe? >

Storing muzzleloader loaded in gun safe?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Storing muzzleloader loaded in gun safe?

Old 09-16-2013, 05:01 PM
Fork Horn

unload. period. its safe and smart and personally its the right way to care for your gun.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

What is unsafe about leaving a muzzloader "loaded"? HMMMM? Unless you are storing it on top of the oven or baseboard heater, there is nothing unsafe about it! You REMOVE the primer. You CHECK and DOUBLE CHECK the action just like you do any other gun. Every time I TOUCH my muzzleloader, I open the action, just like any other gun. A muzzleloader less the primer is considered UNLOADED. I keep my self defense pistols loaded while they are in the safe. What's the difference (oh yeah, besides the fact that the ML can't go BANG if I am wreckless and somehow cock it and pull the trigger "accidentally" BECAUSE THERE IS NO PRIMER IN IT!!!)?

I agree with MZS that the OP should consider switching to powder. I personally use Blackhorn 209 for hunting and do not even remove the powder and bullet after the season is over. It's usually another 4 months before I get around to shooting it again, and it goes bang, hits where I want it to and leaves no pitting in the bottom of the barrel.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
What is unsafe about leaving a muzzloader "loaded"? HMMMM? Unless you are storing it on top of the oven or baseboard heater, there is nothing unsafe about it! You REMOVE the primer. You CHECK and DOUBLE CHECK the action just like you do any other gun. Every time I TOUCH my muzzleloader, I open the action, just like any other gun. A muzzleloader less the primer is considered UNLOADED. I keep my self defense pistols loaded while they are in the safe. What's the difference (oh yeah, besides the fact that the ML can't go BANG if I am wreckless and somehow cock it and pull the trigger "accidentally" BECAUSE THERE IS NO PRIMER IN IT!!!)?

I agree with MZS that the OP should consider switching to powder. I personally use Blackhorn 209 for hunting and do not even remove the powder and bullet after the season is over. It's usually another 4 months before I get around to shooting it again, and it goes bang, hits where I want it to and leaves no pitting in the bottom of the barrel.
cause it was probably shot at least once before it was reloaded, wanna keep it accurate?
shoot it clean it and oil it before ya store it, I ruined the best shooting one I ever had by storing it dirty, won't happen again
RR
Old 09-16-2013, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
cause it was probably shot at least once before it was reloaded, wanna keep it accurate?
shoot it clean it and oil it before ya store it, I ruined the best shooting one I ever had by storing it dirty, won't happen again
RR
That's called an assumption. You don't know. The OP certainly didn't say he loaded it, fired it, and reloaded it, and nobody's saying that anyone should be storing a dirty muzzleloader. I know if my gun is fired in the field, there's a lot of work ahead, which includes cleaning my gun. If I didn't fire it, the only work ahead for me is the walk back to my vehicle.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
That's called an assumption. You don't know. The OP certainly didn't say he loaded it, fired it, and reloaded it, and nobody's saying that anyone should be storing a dirty muzzleloader. I know if my gun is fired in the field, there's a lot of work ahead, which includes cleaning my gun. If I didn't fire it, the only work ahead for me is the walk back to my vehicle.
I know this, anyone who hunts with a muzzleloader with a clean barrel is a fool due to POI changes on the second shot and less than stellar accuracy on the first. I've tested it for 2 many years with too many different firearms.
RR
Old 09-17-2013, 04:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
Unload.

Can I get a second on that?
You can. Why invite trouble? Just unload it.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:46 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

And here is the kicker - EVERY gun is to be treated as if it is loaded. So primer cap or no primer cap, powder or no powder. It is considered loaded at ALL times with respect to safety.

But truthfully, I consider it safer to leave powder and bullet in with primer cap out than push the load out. And if I fire it, I must clean it (at least to a degree if I am not storing) or it will foul up in a hurry.

Last edited by MZS; 09-17-2013 at 04:54 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:26 AM
Fork Horn

I don't unload my muzzloader during the season ussually shoot it clean it then load it for the season. Powder with nothing to make it go off is not dangerous. If I shoot at something then I clean it and reload.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:36 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
I know this, anyone who hunts with a muzzleloader with a clean barrel is a fool due to POI changes on the second shot and less than stellar accuracy on the first. I've tested it for 2 many years with too many different firearms.
RR
POI doesnt change if sighted in with a clean cold bore. If barrel is clean and dry and primer is removed it is safe to store for several weeks.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

With no exception .... fire to unload, clean and lube .... store. Even if just for over night.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.