Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Need help with stand placement >

Need help with stand placement

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need help with stand placement

Old 09-14-2013, 02:27 PM
Spike

Default Need help with stand placement

I need some help with some stand placement ideas on public land. We are going tomorrow morning to put up our stands. I haven't been able to do some scouting do to work and it being 2 hours south of me. This will be my 3rd year hunting.
My first year I shot a nice doe at the light green spot labeled #1, I saw 7 doe total that morning (my first time hunting, only hunted 1 day of season do to work). Last year I hunted this area 2 days first shotgun season, labeled #2, and did not see any deer. We hunt other areas 2nd and late season.
The light grey spots with letters are areas I'm thinking of placing my stand. I hope to get another stand or 2 before shotgun season starts.
The light blue areas are water.
I can hunt anywhere in the red.
If you have any better ideas than what I have here please let me know, I'm still trying to learn.

This is the area without my marks:

This is the area if you wanted to put in Google maps to zoom in or out:
Iroquois County, Pembroke, Iroquois, Illinois 60958

Thank you for any help, like I said I'm still trying to learn.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:06 PM
Fork Horn

personally i obv dont know much about that area.. but that bottom spot under the blue dots looks the best.. water is good and thicket is good.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:19 AM
Fork Horn

B looks like a pretty good spot, I would also check the area North West of A it looks to be a good pinch point. Although looking at an aerial map and putting boots on the ground are completely different. Look for the best sign, I would definitely check out the area North West of A.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:51 AM
Fork Horn

Agree with the above posters. I would also want to check out the two isolated fields toward the Northeast corner. The woods look pretty thick around them, so you might could find a good travel route. The more northern field seems like the thicket thins out on the western side, might be a good place to look for some sign. I prefer to hunt woods over fields though, so that may not fit your style. I always try to set up on travel routes into fields... Is any of this land cropped or CRP or what?