Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
New here, And Deer Blind Build Blog! >

New here, And Deer Blind Build Blog!

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New here, And Deer Blind Build Blog!

Old 08-26-2013, 03:42 PM
Spike

Default New here, And Deer Blind Build Blog!

Hello everyone, My name is Derek, and its nice to be here.

Anyways I am building a deer blind out of pallets, And I will do a step by step until it's done.

With no further a due Here is the first steps.

First I've got on the computer, and I've looked on craigslist for some free pallets, I've found 10 of them. Score for me. I took my truck and picked them up.

Here is a better picture.

Main area of my hunting blind location.

Here is a start of my blind, It's going to be 4 pallets wide and long, This way I can put a table and a lazy boy recliner it.

My deer blind camo burlap tarp and deer pee.

Started making my first rub and scrapes tonight, I just set my trail camera up tonight, I hope to get something tomorrow.

Onto the scrapings.

Scenting the rub I made on top of the tree and on the bottom.

&

final image.

Something is sleeping about 50 yards away from where my blind is.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:44 PM
Spike

Hey guys, I like to add I am new to hunting, and I am new to the forum, So let me know what I am doing wrong and what I can do to fix it, Thank you Derek.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:20 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

I am curious why you would use pallets on the bottom? Be aware that the HS Camo Burlap you have there is almost see-thru so you will have to double it up. I had to special order some camo burlap online cause all I can find in any stores now is that cheap junk. It only weighs about a pound per pack where as decent camo burlap is well over 2 pounds per 12 feet. I take it you were kidding about the recliner?
Old 08-27-2013, 02:04 PM
Spike

No rubber gloves or boots or any kind of scent control making your mock scrape and rub would be my first observation.2nd why are you making a rub 6ft off the ground and using doe estrus on it. A licking branch with pre-orbital scent would be proper in this situation. 3rd much to early for doe estrus in a mock scrape. Buck tarsal gland scent would work much better. Does are no where near estrus at this point in time.4th clear all the vegetation from around the scrape including those branches suckering around the tree.

Last edited by Hoyt63; 08-27-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:10 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Welcome to the forum. Don't get too put off by our comments here - we are just trying to help. Truthfully, you are way ahead of where I was when I first started deer hunting. You have some good ideas, but you will learn a lot by experience and learning from others. There is a ton of information out there, but it can take many hours to wade through it all, dismiss the stuff designed to primarily empty your wallet, make sense of it all, and apply it to your situation. A fast track to success would be to find someone in your area with experience to give you some advice - even have them walk out to your hunting area with you. Not sure if you are gun or bow hunting. Gun is probably a good way to start but bow hunting is also great in that it forces you to be a better hunter.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:17 AM
Spike

Thank you everyone, I am taking your advice MzS, I got a buddy willing to teach me how to hunt for small game and big game animals, If I allow him to use my deer blind when built, That's a small price to pay dontcha you think?
Old 08-28-2013, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't get too caught up in scents and mock scrapes and all that crap right off the bat. Go to where the deer are, observe their movement, patterns, etc. and learn to hunt.

You can play around with throwing smelly liquid on trees later.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:46 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by GatorWrestler
Was this blind project ever finished?

What part of Michigan you from? I have cousin outside of Grand Rapids that wants me to come up there deer hunting for next years deer hunting season.
It is, and just in time for hunting season.

Here is a preview picture of what it looks like.

And to answer your other question before you edited, Yes Michigan has good hunting area's, You will not be disappointed for sure.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:24 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by NorthernMi OutDoorsMan
Hello everyone, My name is Derek, and its nice to be here.

Anyways I am building a deer blind out of pallets, And I will do a step by step until it's done.

Was this blind project ever finished?

What part of Michigan you from? I have cousin outside of Grand Rapids that wants me to come up there deer hunting for next years deer hunting season.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by NorthernMi OutDoorsMan
It is, and just in time for hunting season.

Here is a preview picture of what it looks like.

And to answer your other question before you edited, Yes Michigan has good hunting area's, You will not be disappointed for sure.
that's just a popup blind...what happened to the pallet build blind?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.