Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer gun safe question

Old 08-14-2013, 04:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default Deer gun safe question

I just picked up a safe from bass pro called Bill of Bucks by Redhead. I picked it out b/c for $50, it compared favorably in a side by side test to the popular and best seller, 1856 safe in several ways, one of which was, the Bill of Bucks had an upgraded lock with the S&G emblem stamped on it. In reading, i have learned this is a higher end mechanical lock so for this reason and a few others, i went with this safe. When i unwrapped it, I was suprised to see the locking mechanism is not S&G.

I just went through a bunch of trouble to have it loaded in my vehicle, and had 3 friends help unpack it so taking it back sounds terrible right now but i am disappointed. Clearly the one on the floor at bass pro had the higher quality lock but they seem to have cheapened them in this area.

Should i care about this discrepancy and if so, any suggestions? Maybe it isn't worth worrying about, the existing lock works fine it just isn't what is shown on the floor model so a disappointing surprise.

also, what does 13 locking bolts mean? Mine has 7 large bolts that come out when you rotate the handle but the description says it has 13, i'm wondering if there are other things considered locking bolts that make up the other six.

Last edited by tealboy; 08-14-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Interesting, would have to see the safe in person at least for me to figure that out. Only pictures i can see are on the Bass Pro site and they may not even be accurate. Note: the video linked on the redhead safe is even for a Browning Pro steel safe. Now from what i understand the Redhead safes are still made by Browning Pro Steel so it may turn out to be something similar to generic brand products. The outside shell may be used but at times different internals.

Be almost like buying a Troy built mower it may actually have a Black and Decker motor in it or even a Briggs and Stratton. Not if these are the big reasons you purchased this safe then it may be worth that $50 to get what you paid for. If not you can ask the store salesman or manager why the floor model differs from the one you got at home.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

By all means check it out and have them give you a refund on the extra money spent or whatever is needed to make you whole because from what you are saying you did not get what you paid for!
Old 08-16-2013, 07:37 AM
Typical Buck

Take pictures. Lots of pictures before going back to the store. Or take it back and make them unload it.