Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Anybody else finding dead deer already? >

Anybody else finding dead deer already?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Anybody else finding dead deer already?

Old 08-14-2013, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Anybody else finding dead deer already?

Was just speaking to one of my fellow deerhunter and deputy buddies and he said that he has already put down 3 deer that were sick and has heard of over 7 that others have found in the past 2 weeks. We are in the Clinton/Bond Co. area. He said that his other partner lives over in Jefferson Co. by Mt. Vernon and he said that he has seen 2.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

CWD?Man I hope not for your sake.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by FlDeerman
We had a rash of Blue Tongue/ EHD last year. Don't know if it is CWD. Hope not!!! Didn't see crap for deer last year much less take em like normal.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:06 AM
Typical Buck

CWD has been moving south, but it's only gotten to about I-80, and even there, it's pretty rare. I doubt it's made it as far sought as you guys are.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

It’s not CWD. Can't guarantee it, but growing up with it. It never spread that fast where numerous animals were being put down like that. Sounds more like EHD. That spreads like wildfire.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not even close to CWD, as it's been around a long time and doesn't spread by insect bites like EHD and blue tongue does. I just got an email update from the Wyoming G&F that they're finding dead whitetails along the drainages in the BigHorn Basin right now and the suspect is EHD. The only thing that will slow that down is normally cold weather that kills the bugs.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:11 PM
Fork Horn

Yea saw dead deer in NJ two years ago where I was going to hunt. Seems the farmer would shoot them in the stomach and let run into the woods to die and stink. That was my last year there!
daddus
Old 08-14-2013, 07:24 PM
Typical Buck

I heard about the deer die off over in the Bighorn basin. Haven't seen any of the same over here on the east side of the range. I guess it's because we've had more rain here and the deer aren't concentrating around scarce water holes.

If holds this way we are home free in a few weeks.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by FlDeerman
Not the most likely cause.
Just for reference,though, VA. has reported five cases of cwd-with infected deer showing no visible signs.WV has had 120 cases.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:00 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Game Stalker
Not the most likely cause.
Just for reference,though, VA. has reported five cases of cwd-with infected deer showing no visible signs.WV has had 120 cases.
Look out now! In WI when CWD hit there was a lot of hysteria mostly via the media. (Supposed) stories of people eating meat and preons eating them away like some aliens eating them from the inside. To my knowledge, there has not been a single problem to humans via CWD deer meat since this all started in WI. DNR was giving out free tags for much of the year in CWD zones. And if baiting is allowed now, it will be banned rest assured.

Last edited by MZS; 08-15-2013 at 04:05 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.