Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

predator control

Old 08-08-2013, 08:48 PM
Spike

Default predator control

How important is controling predator population to you.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:52 PM
Spike

I think its important. You cant have coyotes eating all your fawns ,
Old 08-09-2013, 08:14 AM
Spike

Agreed with above post.. You have to control them as much as you can.. On our land we have a few yotes on camera that we are going to introduce ourselves to next weekend with something hot and loud..
Old 08-09-2013, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Important but impossible.

The only major deer predator where I hunt are coyotes. No way you can kill 'em all. Even if you cut the population hanging in the area by 50%, next year you'd be right back at about the same number .... plus I'd think that another pack is very likely to move into any vacated territory. Having said that, we kill every coyote that we can.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Everyone I get a chance to give a dirt nap to gets it!!!
Old 08-10-2013, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

As mentioned....You can't Kill them All,but You do need to keep them in-check/thinned out.Too many Predators can thin out all natural Wild Game like Rabbits,Turkeys,Deer and Quail not to mention Farm Animals and even Family Pets.

In the Off-Season we usually do a lot of Coyote/Predator Hunting on the local Farm and surrounding areas where the Farmers and Land Owners are having problems with too many Coyotes.We can only Hunt/Trap Foxes,Bobcats and other Furbearers in the colder Winter months from around he middle of Nov to around Jan 31.

It also gives You time to learn better hunting skills,shooting practice and year round scouting!
Old 08-10-2013, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

For all of the reasons already mentioned..........................

Kill'em every chance you get !

............. and I agree; that if you hunt them regularly it will make you a better hunter.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:53 AM
Fork Horn

It is very important here in Central Illinois. We hunt them year around using various calls. There is no way you will kill them all but every little bit helps. We actually witnessed 2 coyotes take down a mature doe in the creek last week!!!!
Old 08-11-2013, 03:45 PM
Fork Horn

Kill 'em all! I bought a dedicated coyote rig but its been so hot I haven't had a chance to get out. I saw more Coyotes last season than I saw deer.