Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Patterning Bachelor Group Bucks >

Patterning Bachelor Group Bucks

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Patterning Bachelor Group Bucks

Old 07-20-2013, 02:55 PM
Spike

Default Patterning Bachelor Group Bucks

I am fairly new to deer hunting and currently hunt 40 acres around my house in Delaware that is about 80% in corn this year with around 5 acres of dedicated woods including a hedgerow corridor that connects out section of woods to a neighbors property. Around me is another 40 acres of woodlands I have access to and these properties are sandwiched on the north and south by two tracts of state wildlife area.

After getting hooked last year with seeing large groups of does and taking two decent young bucks in our November shotgun season, I have begun managing for deer this year by maintaining two clover plots that double for hay and recently was given a trail camera to try out. After two weeks in the field I was extremely surprised to see photos of the eight point shown in the picture (attached) every three days at around 7 in the morning and the only large ten point that I saw for the first time today.

I was hoping for advice on how to use this single camera to get more information on patterning these bucks and how to possibly change my strategy once the velvet stops dropping and the bachelor groups breaks up. In Delaware these two are monsters and my dad who has hunted the area for years says these are two of the nicest bucks he has ever seen. Any help on getting these deer patterned would be greatly appreciated, hopefully I have have my blinds and stands up within the next couple of weeks for the start of my first archery season in September.
Attached Thumbnails Patterning Bachelor Group Bucks-prms0051.jpg  
Old 07-20-2013, 04:20 PM
Spike

what i believe will happen is one will go and one will stay.The way i hunt is pattern the doe's around the end of oct and hunt then when pre rut starts. If you keep getting pics of him in that area in the daylight go after him just not to often, and if the wind is right early in the season good luck
Old 07-21-2013, 12:11 PM
Fork Horn

Everything changes come September/October. The bachelor groups will break up and they will be more worried about does than food.

The good thing is that you have them on camera, that at least means your property is part of their home range. Keep an eye out for them, they may not be in that exact same spot all year but they will at least be in the general area.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:41 AM
Spike

Bachelor groups are a tricky thing to try to figure out. I'm not sure when your season starts but there is a chance the bucks could hold their group and pattern till season starts. If the group breaks up usually at least one of the bucks will somewhat keep this pattern. Also if you are trying to get more information on the area and only have the one camera use the best observation tool you have, your eyes. Get out somewhere that you can see the field and the entry ways in, make sure you won't disturb the deer where you're at and make sure to be as scent conscious as when you hunt. Take some binos or a spotting scope with you and you can learn a lot this way
Old 07-22-2013, 09:37 PM
Spike

Our archery season starts on September 2nd this year so I'm setting up to make an early run then give it a break until the pre-rut starts. I am mainly attempting to use the one camera this year because I have no way to observe the deer due to corn being 10 foot high and Delaware being absolutely flat. I tried glassing from on top of our barn the other day while on a break from some roof repairs but their is 0 visibility.

In the end I have been keeping tabs on the tracks and ditch crossings throughout the year so hopefully they keep together and on their current schedule that I have on camera until the season starts, it's just tough to get a lot of info because of their movement in and out of our property and all of the deer are moving a little differently with the safety of the corn.