Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

When in doubt Pull Out!

Old 06-14-2013, 05:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default When in doubt Pull Out!

How many of you actually leave your stands when the winds shifts? or do you just stay and hope for the best? I'll admit I ussually just stick it out once im gone already in place.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:30 AM
Typical Buck

Rifle season, not so much. I don't bow hunt much anymore, but when I did it was on the ground. The wind direction becomes a little more critical when close up on the ground. When rifle hunting, I find other factors have more impact on the deer than wind direction.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I move and start still hunting with the wind in a favorable direction.

Last season it paid of with a tagged doe.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:46 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Heck yeah, I get out when bowhunting. But I make sure it has indeed shifted and not just some momentary swirl of the wind current. Usually a wind switch is in the weather forecast, but not always.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:43 PM
Fork Horn

The wind is pretty consistant where I hunt. Almost always North West.

If its a windy/stormy day, I will judge the wind and pick which stand suits best but if the wind changes mid-day I normally stick it out and just watch different trails, hoping a deer may come in from the opposite field (although less trafficked).
Old 06-16-2013, 05:50 PM
Spike

I don't hunt from a stand. Always stay on the ground. (I have issues with heights) I like being on the ground so I can move with less chance of being seen if I feel the need to move.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt a lot from a climbing stand. If the wind shifts and I am not comfortable with the "new" direction, it is not unusual for me to relocate, sometimes just a few yards away from where I started.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:21 PM
Fork Horn

It depends...

I am careful with my tree stand (climbing stand)...I know the areas where I hunt and which trees are best for different wind directions...

I will move during bow season when I can if necessary...usually will wait for "lunch" or some other break to relocate during rifle / muzzleloader season (if then)...

Only one area (and the really big and careful bucks in that area) will cause me to pull out if the wind is not right...I don't take too many chances in that area...