Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What is your favorite rut set up in a tree? >

What is your favorite rut set up in a tree?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What is your favorite rut set up in a tree?

Old 06-12-2013, 09:16 PM
Spike

Default What is your favorite rut set up in a tree?

Where do you like to hang regarding deer in and around the rut? Food edge, between bed and food, up against bedding? Just wondering where the most success has been seen.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im still learning myself...Ive had good success close to trails. They are habitual creatures. sometimes they blaze their own trail but Ive made a trail through leaves and they follow it! Mainly I think is because its quieter traveling...Ive killed a few this way...and my wife shot her first 2 on the same trail I blazed for them.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:34 PM
Spike

In between doe feeding and bedding areas. Hunt the does in the rut and you will find the bucks.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have found a perfect spot. Bordered on the south by a highway and the north by a deep fast flowing creek. This strip is about 200 yds wide and has an old RR bed running east and west. Prevailing wind is usually blowing in a northernly direction. During the prerut and rut the buck use this RR bed as a travel corridor. They can cover a lot of ground and can pick up the scent of a hot doe in the crosswind. I set up my treestand about 15' high, 20 yds off this RR bed. I've killed 7 buck in 8 years there. Last year I was holding out for a huge 180 class buck but he never showed. And in all these years I've never seen another hunter in this little honey hole.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer right outside of doe bedding areas. My favorite setup is on the down wind side of a doe bedding area or a funnel that connects two doe bedding areas. I have some spots where trails meet closer to food as well but still back in the woods a bit. I rarely sit on ag fields anymore. I see more bigger bucks just inside the woods or right outside doe bedding areas than I do in the actual ag fields. Mature bucks know that open ag fields are dangerous and rarely like to head out to them during the rut unless they are hot on a does tail. Find the down wind side of a doe bedding area or funnels near there and you will find the bucks.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:14 AM
Spike

I hunt just outside doe bedding areas for morning hunts and between bedding areas and food plot for an evening hunt during the rut.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

find the does, the bucks will be there
Old 06-15-2013, 04:29 PM
Typical Buck

In the early AM I hunt over buck bedding, an hour after sunrise I like to shift to funnels between doe bedding areas to catch bucks that get up and cruise after does in heat by checking each doe bedding area, in the evenings I switch over to parrallel trails where bucks scent check doe trails leading to feeding area, or I adjust back to buck bedding areas...
Old 06-15-2013, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have a series of lower bottom Fields where we put out food plots to draw in the Doe's and the Bucks usually have a line of scraps along the edges of the woods...in the late evenings the Bucks move thru and I have a few ladder stands scattered thru those fields.Plans this year is to make a few mock scrapes then use some of the new Orbital Gland scent to draw in more Bucks...I had a nice Young 8-Point Buck cut thru there last year right under my stand and I let him walk since there were 4 other Bigger Bucks I had on my trail camera that I was hoping to see!
Old 06-16-2013, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Any where I've seen does.Does=bucks