Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Controversial decision. no more archery season >

Controversial decision. no more archery season

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Controversial decision. no more archery season

Old 04-25-2013, 04:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default Controversial decision. no more archery season

Interested in your reaction to this situation. Apparently, our landowner (very large), has reached an agreement with the state whereby they have been given the flexibility to allow ML hunting on opening day of archery season. You certainly have the option of archery hunting if you wish, but the vast majority of lease members on your lease and surround leases will be ML hunting. Specifically, if archery opens on 9/15 and ML on 10/25, you will now be allowed to ML hunt beginning on 9/15, all the way up until opening day of gun season on 11/3.

By the way, this is not hypothetical, it is already done. However, each lease has the option to adopt or reject on their respective lease, though if you don't and the neighbor lease does, your chances of success are more limited, plus, total harvest rates will be high.

Just curious as to how you view this situation. There are a lot of reasons as to why i don't like it but it now exists.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:17 PM
Fork Horn

Where is this? This would be a disaster for me! One of my biggest fears is DNR taps bow season to expand other seasons. Over the yrs (35) of bow hunting that seems to be the norm. Whenever they need to provide extended hunting days it comes from bow season. Not dog/gun season, not ML but bow. Hate it!
Old 04-25-2013, 06:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

That sucks, but what do you do! Where is this happening?
Old 04-25-2013, 06:37 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

1. Contact your DNR and get all your friends to contact the DNR. If they get enough complaints, then may reverse this.

2. If number 1 does not work, get yourself a muzzleloader I guess.

Too bad. I have nothing against ML, but also, I would hate if they did that by me. One of the great things about archery is the peace and quiet of the sport.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:50 AM
Typical Buck

Florida is where this happened, not broad based but specific to this large land holder and game mgt operation. I also very much enjoyed the peace and quiet as one of you said. As luck would have it, I just upgraded to new bows for me and my kid last year too. Last, I did just get another ML out of self defense.

Besides the personal distaste for what is happening, i do think over harvesting is a risk and longer term negative effects on the overall herd
Old 04-26-2013, 03:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Those muzzleloaders !!!

They the kind that use primers and scopes? Kidding actually. I knew one state that only allowed flintlocks with no scopes in their ml season.

The problem with large leased lands is it is up to the lessees, in the end, to control the number of deer on their land. If they have too many deer, a limited number of hunters has to reduce the population, in the best way possible. And in some cases archery isn't enough.
Leasing isn't perfect, but to even say that is controversial.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yikes... I wouldn't want that to happen here at all.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Honestly: If DNR is ok with it and if you assume there is biological support for them to be ok with it, not much you can do. Crying "my hunting season is ruined" to them will only get you backlash.

Target your lease to NOT do it. Your lease could then become a quiet area for the deer to run to!
Old 04-27-2013, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Where in Florida?I just looked at next years seasons and I don't see anything about it?
Old 04-27-2013, 12:13 PM
Fork Horn

I would guess this to be short term. If they are truly in the business of game management then they must have a surplus of deer that need to be taken care of. Allowing muzzle loader could be one way of keeping deer populations lower. But of course when such populations become to a safer level the use of muzzle loader will have to be once again restricted so the population doesn't grow too small.

Unless they really don't care about game management and they are just trying to sell more leases. But considering the DNR has signed off on it I don't think this is the case.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.