Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Urban Deer Hunt

Old 04-05-2013, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Urban Deer Hunt

For the past couple of years, our city (pop. 156k) has had a limited special access archery hunt to thin the deer herd within the city limits, but has been restricted to one 700 acre area along a particularly bad stretch of road for deer/vehicle collisions.

Well, apparently they're getting worse even further into city limits... and I wonder, perhaps they would open these areas up for bowhunting as well. I have my doubts because of the obvious safety concerns, but I wonder what the alternative would be.

Knock 'em out and relocate?

This is a pretty heavily populated area.... article/video is amusing.

http://www.keloland.com/newsdetail.c...bad/?id=145877

Has anyone heard of something like this during deer season? Opening up hunting in city limits?
Old 04-05-2013, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Among others in WI, City of Green Bay, Manitowoc, Onalaska, Superior, And Brookfield,(a suburb of Milwaukee) have urban bowhunting programs because of the problems with deer in the city limits. You have to submit to a background check to qualify. I know there are more, but these are the ones I'm familiar with.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:38 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

In MN and WI, there are hunts in areas as small as 20 acres. I was surprised to learn I could hunt less than 100 yds from where I park my car at work in an area about 500 ft by 1000 ft completely surrounded by city streets (and I have seen deer in this area). You should urge the city officials to open up archery hunting in some smaller areas in this city - safety is not too much of a concern and I do not know of any safety related incident in any city hunts. If there is a hiker nearby, the deer is probably not going to be near. Also, hunters are screened and must pass certification.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default The problem with the Urban hunt

Most of the residents of the area do not hunt and many are unfamiliar with hunters and hunting. They're the majority and that is their home territory.
A bad shot in the woods many times can go totally forgotten; a bad shot in an urban area can be disastrous. Disastrous for the hunter and the hunting community.
An urban community is no place for a newbie hunter or a poor shot. Even if he bought a hunting license. The problem with more and more urban hunts is it increases the likelihood that stiffer requirements will face every hunter. Better some hunters get embarrassed alone, deep in the woods. Away from the non hunter. The poor shot will eventually stop hunting, unknown to many.

Last edited by Valentine; 04-06-2013 at 08:37 AM.