Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting Alone

Old 09-21-2003, 08:52 PM

Default Hunting Alone

I have been doing most of my hunting alone for the last several years. The 2 buddies that would go with me have gone there own ways. One is now living in SC and the other is in Afganistan for now. He lives about 1.5 hours away when he isn' t serving our country. But to get to the point, I do most of my hunting alone. Everyone I talk to, says I should' t do that. My response to them is " if I had to wait for someone to go with me, I would never get to hunt" . Well, not as much any how. I was just wondering, how many of you hunt without someone else? I don' t mean someone next to you in the woods, but someone else on the property that knows where to find you when you don' t show up after it gets dark. Someone that has been scouting the woods with you and seen all the differant places that you could be. One of the things that I do is to tell my wife where I will be hunting before I leave the house. This way, she has a general idea of where I should be.

Lets hear your thoughts and perspectives.
Old 09-21-2003, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting Alone

I hunt alone most morning during the week. But in the afternoons i sometims have company and have company most every sat and sunday. I always have a walkie talkie with me and my friends know if im out there or not even if there not hunting sense i park by there house.
Old 09-21-2003, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most of the time I hunt with someone ,but occasionally I hunt by myself When I' m hunting on mine or a neighbors property. That way someone would know where to look if I didn' t make it back . Hunting by yourself and not letting people know where is not the way to go in my opinion .
Old 09-21-2003, 09:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

i have and will....and im only 16....i dont worry...i know more about survival then most people...and if im in an accident my dad knows where i SHOULD be like you tell your wife....god only knows where i may wander off to....but when im alone i also try hard to use my head and not make a stupid mistake that could leave me out there...i know its still VERY possible...but theres just something about hunting alone...the satisfaction...the peacefulness...being with nature all alone....taking your game knowing you did it all by yourself...you wouldnt believe how great it felt to bag my first turkey alone from scouting to calling to hunting it i did it all and it paid off with a nice long beard all by myself..i do always tell someone where im going....and if im lost i have the proper things to keep me alive and the knowhow if i am ABLE to use it....but injured or sick guys like us are up a creek for a while....tree stands i dont know if i will get in one alone or not....to many things can leave you hurt from a tree stand...ill probally get in one alone sooner or later but not until im comfortable in them(never hunted from them i do just fine from the ground but this year i am hunting from one when im with dad in the same set of woods somewehre) i like hunting alone....
Old 09-21-2003, 10:11 PM

I hunt by myself majority of the time. I hunt nothing but private land and a lot of our land is spread out in differnt locations and counties. I always leave word which piece of proerty I will be hunting and approx. return time just in case I don' t show up. I have a first cousin that knows the land well and he lives close by so that makes me feel much better just in case something happens. I also carry my cell phone with me (turned off) and I have a two way radio that is able to reach the house from about 20 miles away. -- CDH
Old 09-21-2003, 10:22 PM
Fork Horn

I have hunted by myself for years now. None of my friends take hunting as serious as I do therefor I hunt alone.

In the recent years past I hunted on public land which made all my hunting buddies nervous. Not to mention most of them had their own private leases to hunt on.

My work schedule allows me to hunt durring the week when most others are in the office.
Old 09-22-2003, 02:37 AM
Matriarch Doe!

I hunt alone most of the time. Sometimes my husband comes with me, but he bowhunts and I rifle hunt, so I' m usually on my own. I' ve hunted with my uncles and cousins a couple times, but that pretty much drove me nuts---completely different style. I hunt public land and it' s a pretty huge area, but my husband knows the areas I go to and probably wouldn' t have too hard a time finding me if I ever failed to come home. In October I take off for two weeks, but I always make sure to call home every night to let him know that I' ve made it back to camp safely.
Old 09-22-2003, 03:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Alone all the time. Like the rest I tell my wife where I will be.I have a list where my 6 ground blinds are. They all are within 1/2 mile of my home.
Old 09-22-2003, 04:28 AM
Dominant Buck

While you have to consider the safety issues , I prefer to hunt alone . The solitude is like a tonic for me after the bustle and noise of work and home , and the only one making noise on stand will be me . The guy who lives there always knows when I' m there since he can see my car , and will have a good idea where I' m hunting .
Old 09-22-2003, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I hunt alone, I just tell my girlfriend which property I' ll be on, and if I don' t show up, she can tell my Dad and he knows all the places to find me.

Quick Reply: Hunting Alone

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.