Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Becoming an Outfitter

Old 03-01-2013, 04:51 PM
Spike

Exclamation Becoming an Outfitter

Hey, I was wondering if you had to have a license to be a fishing or hunting guide, or had to hunt or fish in one place? What all do you have to do?
Thanks.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:50 PM
Fork Horn

Pretty sure that depends on your state. Call the game and fish, NRD, game and parks, whatever your specific state calls the agency responsible for managing hunting regs.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think most of the time you would start out working with an outfitter doing the grunt work, feeding horses, cleaning camp, getting horses ready in the morning, cooking etc before you could move on up the chain in an outfitters business. You would have to have a LOT of land to hunt.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:12 PM
Spike

I was actually thinking of doing just that the other day.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Business license, operating insurance, preferably lawyer on retainer, marketing/advertising go to market strategy, land to hunt upon (lease agreements secured with appropriate indemnities assigned), partnerships with lodging and dining vendors, reference information regarding licences, tags, and regulations, etc etc.

Don't focus on the operation of the business, the management of the business is the greatest critical component.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Land ownership will probably be a big part of it... depending where you are, there could be restrictions as far as guiding hunts on public land. I know in SD you cannot act as a guide on public land.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

A guide and an outfitter are two completely different entities, although an outfitter can do some guiding. What Nomercy448 mentioned would apply more to an outfitter than a guide.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
A guide and an outfitter are two completely different entities, although an outfitter can do some guiding. What Nomercy448 mentioned would apply more to an outfitter than a guide.
Not 100% true. If you're operating a business, as a pro-guide, you will still have to have the appropriate licenses, insurances, liability protection/legal representation, etc.

No, a guide may not need to make arrangements for lodging and meals, but the rest of the business is the same as far as the state and Uncle Sam are concerned.