Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Cover sent for deer hunting/ever thought of this? >

Cover sent for deer hunting/ever thought of this?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Cover sent for deer hunting/ever thought of this?

Old 01-12-2013, 01:46 AM
Typical Buck

Default Cover sent for deer hunting/ever thought of this?

Some of us use it and/or wear special outfits,made to stop your body sent.
I always thought it was a good idea,until i realized this; If you hunt you have to breathe! Each breath,on average,is 1/2 a liter of air,at about 30 to 50 per minute! How do you cover this sent up? Thats a large volume of human sent,getting pumped into you hunting area????
What do you folks think?
Old 01-12-2013, 05:34 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

I think you hunt the wind, no matter what you do. But what I do for my breath is brush with baking soda or some hydrogen peroxide. If there are apples around, eating an apple on the stand might help - at least it keeps me from getting hungry. But unless you are 20+ feet up (which I do not like to be) or you are in a blind that allows your scent to be vented up a chimney pipe or completely contained, you will get busted I think if you are up wind. But even if you are down wind, often a deer will approach from behind and along the side - taking every measure possible decreases chances of getting busted that way.

Last edited by MZS; 01-12-2013 at 03:57 PM. Reason: replaced up with down.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think this is where hunting out of a tree stand helps.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:47 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by MZS
I think you hunt the wind, no matter what you do. But what I do for my breath is brush with baking soda or some hydrogen peroxide. If there are apples around, eating an apple on the stand might help - at least it keeps me from getting hungry. But unless you are 20+ feet up (which I do not like to be) or you are in a blind that allows your scent to be vented up a chimney pipe or completely contained, you will get busted I think if you are up wind. But even if you are up wind, often a deer will approach from behind and along the side - taking every measure possible decreases chances of getting busted that way.
X2 Fred Bear hunted in flannel, if you hunt the wind you will beat the senses
Old 01-12-2013, 02:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hunting the wind is definitely the way to go. I've hunted for decades and killed way more than my share of big game and I've never used any special washing machine stuff for my hunting clothes, etc. When I bow hunt I do put some fox urine on my rubber boots and around the tree I'm in and that's about it.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:22 PM
Spike

Hold your breath.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ever heard of Gum-O-Flauge? (spelling?)

They already thought of covering up the scent from our breathe,the Hunters Specialties has a scent-free kit with special tooth paste,mouth wash and even breathe mint to conceal our bad breathe when Hunting along with un-scented under arm anti-persperant and their scent free detergent and shampoo!
Old 01-13-2013, 12:23 AM
Spike

You just saved me the trouble of reposting.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:02 AM
Typical Buck

I liked hunting from a tree,but,at my age,a stump is hard to get up on.[LOL] I now count on luck and watch down hill!