HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Cover sent for deer hunting/ever thought of this? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/377677-cover-sent-deer-hunting-ever-thought.html)

mounting man 01-12-2013 01:46 AM

Cover sent for deer hunting/ever thought of this?

Some of us use it and/or wear special outfits,made to stop your body sent.
I always thought it was a good idea,until i realized this; If you hunt you have to breathe! Each breath,on average,is 1/2 a liter of air,at about 30 to 50 per minute! How do you cover this sent up? Thats a large volume of human sent,getting pumped into you hunting area????
What do you folks think?

MZS 01-12-2013 05:34 AM

I think you hunt the wind, no matter what you do. But what I do for my breath is brush with baking soda or some hydrogen peroxide. If there are apples around, eating an apple on the stand might help - at least it keeps me from getting hungry. But unless you are 20+ feet up (which I do not like to be) or you are in a blind that allows your scent to be vented up a chimney pipe or completely contained, you will get busted I think if you are up wind. But even if you are down wind, often a deer will approach from behind and along the side - taking every measure possible decreases chances of getting busted that way.

VAhuntr 01-12-2013 01:37 PM

I think this is where hunting out of a tree stand helps.

BP_Niccum 01-12-2013 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by MZS (Post 4026381)
I think you hunt the wind, no matter what you do. But what I do for my breath is brush with baking soda or some hydrogen peroxide. If there are apples around, eating an apple on the stand might help - at least it keeps me from getting hungry. But unless you are 20+ feet up (which I do not like to be) or you are in a blind that allows your scent to be vented up a chimney pipe or completely contained, you will get busted I think if you are up wind. But even if you are up wind, often a deer will approach from behind and along the side - taking every measure possible decreases chances of getting busted that way.

X2 Fred Bear hunted in flannel, if you hunt the wind you will beat the senses

Topgun 3006 01-12-2013 02:32 PM

Hunting the wind is definitely the way to go. I've hunted for decades and killed way more than my share of big game and I've never used any special washing machine stuff for my hunting clothes, etc. When I bow hunt I do put some fox urine on my rubber boots and around the tree I'm in and that's about it.

PalmettoKid 01-12-2013 03:22 PM

Hold your breath.

GTOHunter 01-12-2013 08:05 PM

Ever heard of Gum-O-Flauge? (spelling?)

They already thought of covering up the scent from our breathe,the Hunters Specialties has a scent-free kit with special tooth paste,mouth wash and even breathe mint to conceal our bad breathe when Hunting along with un-scented under arm anti-persperant and their scent free detergent and shampoo!

bookfire1238 01-13-2013 12:23 AM

You just saved me the trouble of reposting.

mounting man 01-13-2013 03:02 AM

I liked hunting from a tree,but,at my age,a stump is hard to get up on.[LOL] I now count on luck and watch down hill!